Flovent HFA User Reviews

Flovent HFA - User Reviews

Flovent HFA User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Flovent HFA sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: charl, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 25

My 3 year old son has been on this inhaler for over a year and it has made a huge difference. We have not had to go to the ER since starting, have not had to take oral steroids, and it has greatly reduced the need for Albuterol and use of his nebulizer. It made him a little hyper at first, but now that he has used it for a long time there is no difference in his behavior. (he still gets VERY hyper if he takes the Albuterol of Xopenex)It is difficult to know if he is getting all of the medication because of the aerochamber, but all in all his asthma has improved.

Related Reading: Xopenex

Comment from: Leigh, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 16

I have been taking the Flovent HFA inhaler once a day as prescribed for a little over 5 months now. It has not improved my asthma symptoms. I am still having to use my Albuterol rescue inhaler. In addition, I have had more colds and/or upper respiratory infections in the past 5 months than I've had in the past 5 or 6 years! I counted them up. Since November, I've had 7 total, every 2-4 weeks. Whereas, if I EVER got sick, it used to be maybe once a year. This really concerns me. After reading the mouse-print drug info that accompanies the inhaler, I saw that it will likely decrease cortisol and/or adrenal levels and that your Dr. should do labwork to test these levels. Decreased levels can result in colds and upper respiratory infections. My Dr. has not ordered or performed tests to check my levels. So, I've significantly reduced my dosage and use of Flovent and plan to see my Dr. very soon. I still have respiratory congestion, but over the past few days, I have noticed that I have a bit more energy. At this point, I'm very determined to stop using this medicine altogether.

Comment from: jmay, 3-6 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: January 29

My 5 year old has been on this med for a little over a year. Now only uses it in peak allergy months. Does cause a change in her mood and behavior for the first couple weeks, and makes her a bit hyper. But its not so bad as long as she can breathe. My other concern is that since beginning this med she has gain 10 pounds in just about 1 year.

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: londonrain, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 24

My 8 year old daughter is on this medication to help with her asthma and I do not like this medication.She started complaining about how it makes her heart feel funny right after taking it and it has caused her to be this really hyperactive child who doesn't sleep.When I informed her doctor of these things he accused me of giving her the wrong inhaler because 'Flovent does not make a child's heart beat fast'.Her doctor,despite telling him five times that it was a red and orange inhaler with a counter on the back,brought in two inhalers covering the name and made me show him which one it was I gave her.When it was determined I was giving her the right inhaler he just brushed off these symptoms and told me to continue to give her the medication.And on top of that the medication does almost nothing to help control her asthma.So I have a hyperactive, child who does not sleep,who looks tired and acts tired in that she is grumpy a lot of the time,and her asthma is still not under control.Very disappointed in this medication not to mention we will be switching doctor's.

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 31

I experienced slight loss of voice since I started this drug but I have been alright with it other than that. I was told that singing is good to break up the junk to break up the stuff in my vocal cords because it vibrates. I also rinse with salt water and it helps. I gargle with it too.

Comment from: Judy G., 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 07

I found my voice was affected by using this drug. It very often sounded scratchy and like I was getting laryngitis. And I developed a sometimes heavy phlegm build-up. I was lucky that I didn't also get thrush. It was effective in the beginning, but after a year, my doctor put me on anew medication that I start tomorrow. I could never quite shake the cough I had most of the time.

Related Reading: laryngitis | thrush | cough

Comment from: 75 or over Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 28

Has been effective in supressing simptoms. I developed cataracts, requiring surgery. Don't know whether or not this drug was causative.

Related Reading: cataracts