Focalin XR User Reviews

Focalin XR - User Reviews

Focalin XR User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Focalin XR sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: HoosierMama, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: September 15

Our 6 year old son has shown symptoms of ADHD since he was two. Boys will be boys, but he was WAY beyond a typical, energetic kid. We stopped going to church because Sunday school teachers had him in time-out most of the class and couldn't handle him. I didn't go to the grocery alone with him, only if my husband could be there to help corral him. Our pediatricians nurse suggested that he needed more discipline. I started crying! I said, "He spends most of his time in time out, we've even tried spanking, rewarding doesn't work, I can't friggin' discipline him any more than I do! FYI- his 8 year old brother has NEVER been in trouble at school, is always polite, I knew it wasn't our parenting. Our son needed help. He's not a bad kid, he's just impulsive and can't focus or control himself. We started on Concerta and got major symptom relief. However, after 6 months my son had actually lost weight and he had major trouble falling asleep(like up until midnight). We switched to Focalin XR. He eats, gains weight, and sleeps!!! We are very pleased. He's on 10mg at 7:00am and has to take a 2.5mg(non-XR) around 2-3pm because it wears off. I just called the Dr. to discuss trying 15 mg XR in the morn because he is struggling a bit in kindergarten with following the rules, focusing, etc. He's still worlds better than before the medication! Basically, we like Focalin more than Concerta because his true personality still shines through(not a zombie), he eats great, and he sleeps better. Once we get the dosage fine tuned I know he'll be good to go. I wish he didn't need any medication, but I'm thankful we have found something to help our son. He's not the "bad kid" anymore. People get to know the real him and that's a beautiful thing!

Related Reading: ADHD | parenting | Concerta

Comment from: caigen, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 08

My 8 year old son takes 30mg A.M. and 10mg at 12 PM. He has ADHD that seriously hampered his learning. Before we decided to put him on this medication he was failing 1st grade and had to be put on an IEP (Individialived Evaluation Plan) where they found he had a learning disablity due to behavior and attention problems. Now he is performing at above grade average and is no longer considered to have a learning disability. I do not want to be a cheerleading mother for this drug, I myself wonder everyday if I am doing the right thing for my son long term. But the short term does not lie and he could definitely not have the success he is having without the medication. He tells me this as well. He knows when the medicine wears off, which is about 4:30pm. So far he is confident in his ability to control himself at school to learn, and is working on peer relations. My son could not tolerate concerta or adderall. They made him mean and aggressive. So I guess as far as it goes, which is for the last 2 years, this medication works very well in treating my sons ADHD.

Related Reading: adderall

Comment from: missy69912, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 05

My son is 7 years and has been on this med since May of this year. This is the first med he has tried. His Dr insisted on putting him on 10 mg along with 5 mg of Abilify for his agressive behavior in school along with being defiant and socially detachment from others. In the first three days we saw a drastic improvement, his teacher was not even aware that he was in the classroom. She stated that he was so calm and focused, didn't blurt out in the class, did not get mad when he stated the wrong answer in class and begin beating himself in the head. At functions he began speaking to people instead of rolling his eyes, balling up his fist telling them to get away or stay from him. Sometimes he would just be sitting and get mad for no reason. He takes the focalin 10 mg around 6:15 am he catches the school bus around 6:25 (he eats breakfast before he takes his meds) the meds usually wear off around 4pm. He takes the Abilify 5 mg approx. 6:00pm to control his aggressive behavior as of now they are working perfect together for him. Yes he does experience dry mouth, a few headaches in which we give him a dose of childrens tylenol. when the focalin wears off he gets extremely hungry he has gained 3 lbs in 5 months. He himself can tell the difference and feels better about taking the meds. In his words "Mom, I'm not tangle up and confused in the head anymore". He had an appointment last week and the Dr. increased him to 15 mg because he is playing football and with the medication wearing off at 4pm and he is not from practice or a game until around 8:30 we will see if this hurts or help. I will keep you posted. Our next appointment is in two weeks. Meanwhile continue to pray while using and searching for the right meds.

Related Reading: Abilify | focalin | dry mouth

Comment from: Tampa Mom, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 28

My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD a couple months before she turned six. She was very smart and always knew the answers to everything the teacher asked, but was constantly in trouble in school because she could not sit still and could not follow directions. At home, we frequently had to deal with her temper tantrums and big meltdowns. We couldn't figure out what set her off. Her Kindergarten teacher suspected that she had ADHD and suggested that we seek a specialist for diagnoses. She was correct. The neurologist diagnosed my daughter with ADHD and prescribed her the 5 mg Focalin XR. She tried it for a week but it didn't have any noticeable effect on her. The doctor then increased the dosage to 10 mg. The effect was dramatic. It was like an on/off switch. When the medication went into effect, she was very reticent. I didn't like it because it's almost like she's completely a different person. However, she was able to sit still in class, follow directions, and concentrate on what she was doing. It boosted her self confidence because she stopped getting in trouble in school and as a result, she's more popular with the other kids. She is now 8 1/2 and is still on the same 10 mg dosage. Over time, the effect of the 10 mg medication did seem to lessen but I think she's now at a perfect balance. She is less reticent but is still able to focus in school. One major side effect of the medication is loss of appetite. She does not eat much, if any, at lunch time when the medication is in effect, so I always make sure that she eats a big, healthy breakfast before school. By dinner time, the medication has worn off, so she gets her healthy appetite back.

Related Reading: Focalin XR