Focalin XR User Reviews

Focalin XR - User Reviews

Focalin XR User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Focalin XR sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: mmitchem, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 17

My son is 6 years old and had ADHD-predominantly inattentive type. He started out on 5 mg of Adderall XR which did not work for him. He was very emotional, crying over everything and very angry when the drug wore off(which was only about 6 hours. After trying AdderalXR for a month we switched him to Focalin XR. I saw results the first day. He is very focused, very talkative, is able to retain information from his school day and is not moody at all. There is no crash for him with Focalin XR. He does have a loss of appetite but we let him eat whatever he wants once it wears off. I find it works for about 8 hours. There isn't a generic drug yet so it is expensive, we pay 75.00 a month and the pharmacist says it is hard to get so we usually have to submit to pharmacy about a week before we need it.

Comment from: 7-12 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: March 03

My 7yr old son takes this 10mg. every morning it is a wonderful med. He went from making d's and f's to all a's now. i realy like this med, it still allows him to be his self, it just adds a little consentration in there too.

Comment from: TX Adoptive Mom, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: June 11

My daughter (now 7 years old) has been using Focalin XR for 2 years now. It has helped greatly with her ADHD. My daughter has severe R.A.D (reactive attachment disorder) and severe O.D.D (oppositional defiant disorder), which is why she continues to have behavior problems at home and school...but since using the Focalin, she is now able to concentrate so she can achieve an education and focus in her daily life. I have been very pleased with Focalin XR. She also uses Seroquel...this is used to help with her lack of impulse control. Due to my daughter being a foster child from 8months to 4 years old...she has a lot of behavioral issues and problems. She came to me on many medications. I had a new doctor re-evaluate her, and the Focalin XR combined with Seroquel have been helping her reach a better quality of life!!

Related Reading: Seroquel

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 04

My 8 yr old son started taking this medication about 3 weeks ago. He is doing great on it. We decided to switch him from Strattera because of his not eating. He is a very small 8 yr old, about 45 pounds. Since switching to Focalin XR, I can't seem to keep enough food in the house. Very excited about this drug not giving him the side effects that all the others had. This med also does not seem to cause the sleepiness that the others do. He has put on about 5 pounds since starting this med. Hopefully it will continue to work. Also not having the problems with aggression like the other meds seem to give him.

Related Reading: Strattera

Comment from: 3-6 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 11

My son is 4 years old. He started pre-K this year. When school started it started with many problems. He was getting in trouble everyday hitting other students,not listening to the teacher, throwing temper tantrums when he did not get his way. Could not sit still when teacher was instructing. He started Focalin XR 5 mg was exactly one month ago. His teacher called me yesterday and told me he was a completely different child. He interacts with other children now. He is the teachers helper this week and is involving himself in learning his alphabet and writing his name. He has not had any of the side effects. this medicine really helped him and I am very glad his dr. prescribed him this instead of something like ridalin.

Comment from: on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: September 24

My daughter is 6 and has been taking 20mg since April of 2008. She has lost about 6lbs. Her behavior at school has been a 100% turn around. In kindergarten, she had in school detention 3 times and kicked off the bus once. Now in 1st grade, she's had great days every day and on her mid-term report for first grade the teacher wrote awesome. I have noticed that sometimes she will "zone out" and also she can be almost shy in group situations. Overall, our family life has improved dramatically.

Comment from: mother of adhd, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 25

I and an adult 39 years old. Never had any severe problems as a child but, when my son went on focalin at age 7 and had such a great reacton I talked to my doctor about tring it. The best thing I ever did!!!!! I always had problems finishing things nothing big more like oganization skills. I never understood how other poeple stayed so focused on things. Now I know it feels great.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 10

Our 9 yr old daughter has ADD and has been taking 20mg for 1 month. We cannot believe the improvement in such a short time. She has brought her grades up to A & B. Her teacher says she is the best student he's had in 28 years of teaching. We feel like we have our little girl back again! No more repeating rules and instructions. And she does her chores without being asked.