Focalin User Reviews

Focalin - User Reviews

Focalin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Focalin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: happymom, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 02

We tried many things to help my daughter with her inability to focus, her impulsiveness, and her learning disabilities. Special Education, good diet and exercise, and A LOT of homework help at home helped, but she still required a lot of redirection and one-on-one time at school from her teachers. We finally agreed with her doctor to try a medication. We tried Concerta and it was terrible. Too strong for her! She was tearful and suffered insomnia and nightmares. We asked the doctor what else we could try. He prescribed the lowest dose of Focalin... 10mg. It worked!!! The difference in her behavior was like night and day and it didn't affect her sweet personality at all. I didn't tell her teachers so I could really see if they noticed a difference, and they immediately saw a change in her school performance. She was less impulsive, she stayed on task, and she actually finished assignments! At home she was able to do more things like getting dressed on her own, cleaning her room, doing most her own homework without me prompting her every five minutes. We found that giving her half a pill in the morning and half at lunch (the school helps us with that) worked best for her (it seems to last 5 hours). After school homework time was a challenge since the Rx had worn off, but her Dr. prescribed a 2mg dose as needed for these days, and it works really well. She is still able to sleep by 8PM. She still has a good appetite too (which worried me). It is available in generic form so it's easily affordable. The only problem with this Rx is that it isn't long-acting so you need to give a booster dose mid day. But we haven't found this to be difficult for now. I hope this helps someone out there! It has been a life-saver for our sweet daughter!

Related Reading: learning disabilities | Concerta | insomnia

Comment from: lbaezl, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 23

My 6 year old son had been having trouble is school since preschool, and at home since he was born with hyperactivity...he was overbearing with his friends and even lost some...I dreaded picking him up from school b/c of the teachers report...I've even had to pick him up early due to disruptive behavoir...he is also gifted with compounded the issue of being bord in school...We started medication for the first time 3 weeks ago and I absolutly love it...we have not had a negitive report since...he has not had any side effects and I medicate on weekends as well so I can see how it affects him and it is wonderful to see him interacting with others appropriately...the other day he said "thank you mom for my brain medicine.. now I feel like a superhero because it helps me think more clearly" I almost cried...it's been a God-send!

Comment from: cistre60, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 03

My 7 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD in October 2009. I was constantley getting phone calls from his 1st grade teacher about how he was behaving in class and how he was just down right refusing to be still. I decided to have him tested basically to rule out this condition. His dr placed him on this medicine and it was remarkable. He is not a "zombie" while on this. He is still able to play with his friends and be a normal child without the impluse to do what he wants in class. His conduct grade went from a very low D to 100% A. I have recomended that other parents that I know of who are having the same issues with their children in school to talk to their drs about this medicine. Every morning my son makes sure that his medicine is next to his breakfast plate so he will not get in trouble in school.

Related Reading: ADHD

Comment from: Bryan, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 29

I'm a 15 year old who took this drug for about a month.Focalin XR was effective in getting me to pay attention but I noticed that i was very fidgety.My teacher confronted me about my fidgetiness and it was a big problem.Also my parents notice I was very moody and very aggressive.I decided to stop taking Focalin XR after I got into a very aggressive argument with my father.I have a border line intermidiate level of anger problems without any drugs, Focalin XR just made them worse.Fidgetiness also did not improve,it almost seemed worse with Focalin XR.Focalin XR in my opinion should only be for Predominantly Inattentive Type ADHD.I have Combined Type ADHD and it is at an intermiditate level.I hope this review will help parents and patients decide whether Focalin XR is the right medication for them or their children.

Related Reading: Focalin XR | Focalin

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 19

My son has had adhd since 1st grade and now he is 13 years old. He has tried every medicine but they either made him a zombie, severly depressed, angry, etc. but focalin has been a miracle in his behavior and his grades are up. He has been on focalin for over one year and it is the best adhd medicine.

Comment from: Bert, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 39 years old and was recently diagnosed with Adult ADD. After trying Stratera for a few days, my doctor changed me to Focalin 5 mg twice daily. The Stratera did not work for me, made me very drowsey, wicked cotton mouth, upset stomach and the ever onmious "sexual side effects" but alarmingly it gave me very gruesome nightmares. I've never had that happen before, so the doctor changed me to Focalin after only 4 days. Wow what a lifesaver. I'm currently in school fulltime because of a career change. With the ADD I was unable to work and go to school at the same time, to the point where my parents offered to support me while in school. The ADD was just too much for me to do both. After only a few weeks, I can say that this drug has saved me. Finally I can concentrate fully and not get distracted. This has allowed me to start working again while in school, so I am extremely happy. As for side effects, I've been pretty happy with the dose I'm on. The only real side effect for me is loss of weight, which at my age isn't something I'm going to complain about too much! lol I do have to remind myself to eat, and it's a weird sensation to go a whole day without eating and not be hungry. It's amazing in that respect. Other than that I have no complaints. One last comment is regarding sleep problems. I have suffered through many many sleepness nights because of the ADD. It is not unusual for me to be up until 3 or 4 am everynight because I couldn't quiet my mind enough. I take this drug twice daily, six hours apart. In a roundabout way, Focalin has relieved the sleep problems, because by the end of the day I seem pretty well spent. I workout 3 times weekly and I seem to have more energy now due to the Focalin. The workouts and the Focalin ensure that I am dead tired by 10 pm. This is a fast acting drug and I feel it within 5 minutes of taking it on an empty stomach. It doesn't make me feel ramped up, I do have a lot of energy when taking it.

Related Reading: sexual | nightmares | sleep