Fortamet User Reviews

Fortamet - User Reviews

Fortamet User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Fortamet sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 24

I take Fortamet to treat PCOS. The 1000mg dose is a very large tablet, and since I cannot break it up, it can be difficult to swallow. However, it is much easier on my stomach than Metformin.

Related Reading: Fortamet

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 29

The 1000 mg pill is big and difficult to swallow so I got my dr to prescribe it as two 500 mg two times a day -- much easier to swallow the 500s, which are a little larger than aspririns

Comment from: onenitakazsha@aol.com, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 28

Experance Tenderness in my Stomach;with pain

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 20

I am taking this drug for metobolic syndrome. I have had no s/e from it so far and was unable to take metformin and my dose is currently being increased. The huge pills are hard to swallow. I am hopeful that my serum insulin level comes down and that is works well to assist with some weight loss.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 23

It's the best metformin the only one I can use But I can't afford it.

Comment from: lindamcb58, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 08

It took 4 days of taking this before I got severe diarrhea that I had to take anti diarrhea meds for. I didn't take one last night and I still had diarrhea this morning. I can't take Metformin and I told the doctor that. They assured me that this was not Metformin, it is, just in a different form.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 22

The difference in the Metformin that I was on and the Fortamet is that the Metformin was "fast acting" and now the Fortamet that I am on is "slow acting"...according to my endocronologist. I have a friend who had the same reaction with the metformin and the fortamet has also helped her. Take the fortamet just as directed and you should feel better and have better readings. Stick to your diet. I feel better than I have in years. I have a son who is a Type I diabetic and he eats right and exericises every day and is doing great.

Comment from: sizzler, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 02

Fortamet has worked with my blood sugar numbers. Can't take the big 1000 pill. Using two 500 daily. My one complaint is the smell of this medication -- smells like old fish.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 04

The pills are very thick and hard to swallow. I have lost abt 25 lbs because of diarrea, my a1c numbers are good but the quality of life not so good, my doctor says it should get better, I am tired of changing drugs

Comment from: BaylorBearister, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 02

I have been taking Fortamet for just over one week. I have had intermittent diarrhea. The most significant side effect has been a bad taste that makes foods taste the way old cigarette ashes smell.

Comment from: trudy46, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 09

I had been taking regular Metformin for approxdimately 8 months. My blood sugar was under control but I had severe diarhea to the point of many embarrassing "accidents". My doctor changed me to Fortamet approximately 5 weeks ago and I am so much better. I have not had any "accidents" since I changed to Fortamet. My blood sugar readings are very good now.

Comment from: guiness, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 12

Have been using this medication for over four years and watching my diet... Last blood work results showed my levels have decreased so whatever I am doing I am doing something correct...

From WebMD