Fortamet User Reviews

Fortamet - User Reviews

Fortamet User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Fortamet sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 02

My only motivation for writing this review is to help those of you with digestive trouble due to taking Fortamet ER(metformin). I had severe upset stomach when taking generic metformin so my doctor switched me to Fortamet ER. Although it is the same drug as metformin, the extended release tablet helps with digestive problems by not dumping so much medication into your system at once. The MOST important thing to know about taking any metformin drug is to eat LOTS of protein when you take the pills and throughout the day. My doctor even recommended drinking a protein shake, which has about 23g of protein, with the medicine. Doing this stopped any stomach upset I was having. The other key to avoiding side effects is to build up slowly to your ideal dose.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 27

I take it along with Byetta every day for about 2 years.

Related Reading: Byetta

Comment from: ls, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 12

I have only been on it for two weeks; I have learned to deal with the headaches, as that seems to be the only side effect for now.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 04

I almost choked to death the first (and only)time I tried to take it. I had to be taken by ambulance to the ED and they administered medication by IV to enable me to swallow this HUGE pill. Watson Pharmaceuticals told me they would reimburse me my $40.00 copay, but it has been 7 weeks and all they have done is give me the run around. I wouldn't recommend this medication to anyone.

Comment from: GEV, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 22

Although the meds helped keep my blood sugar down, I have experienced bad headaches and dizziness with nauseau.

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: clovercat, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 07

While the 1000mg pill is difficult to swallow because of its size, I had little/no side effects with this compared to the nausea/diarrhea I experienced with taking two 500mg metformin er pills.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 11

I learned to take it right at bed-entire dose of 2000 mg and it takes away all nauseau (sp) and diarrhea.

Comment from: aarchack, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 24

I've experienced severe diarrhea and stomache tenderness, but I've found that this medication is easier on my body than regular metformin.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 03

just started taking 500mg once a day for 30days then 2x a day after that of fortamet seems to work better for me then generic metformin stick to brand no diarrhea.. good luck hope this helps i hope i can lose weight on it and my a1c numbers go down..

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 01

I experienced hair loss and terrible acid indigestion. Otherwise it worked really good.

Related Reading: hair loss | indigestion

Comment from: workoutgirl, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 02

I have been taking this now for several months and still have intermittent diarrhea; however, not interefering with daily activites. It does seem to give me a loss of appetite, however. I do feel better since I've been taking it for PCOS.

Comment from: Neblina, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 26

On August my sugar was 150. Last test (February) it lowered to 101. My cycles are coming back to normal and ovulation has improved.