Forteo User Reviews

Forteo - User Reviews

Forteo User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Forteo sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Sher, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 20

Just started taking this Jan 08, Have already broken a hip (10/07)and can not take the oral meds. I am a nurse and did the research on the drug, it is easy to inject and have had no side effects but the bone scan in Dec. 08 will tell the tale. On Xray my bones are quite thin and you can see through them.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 14

Before starting Forteo, I broke my right hip and had to have it replaced. Doctor told me up front that it would be a 2 year treatment procedure. Have administered the daily shot for 14 months now. I have fallen a couple of times since (hard falls too) with no brakes! I know that it is helping me! Even though I don't like giving myself shots, I hate broke bones worse! Thanks.

Comment from: Angie from Austin, Tx., 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 12

I was treated for years with Evista and Actonel. However, every year my bone density test revealed worse results. My doctor recomended Forteo. I put if off for one year being fearful of bone cancer. She kept insisting and I used it for 6-1/2 months. I had no side effects, but when I had a blood test, the levels of alkaline phosphatase were very elevated. I immediately stopped using this drug. I just went to my doctor for a bone density test and there was some improvement and after 6 months the alkaline phostase had decreased substantially, but the combined number was still out-of-range and the levels in the bone was at the top of the expected range. She wants me to go back on Forteo, but I am very reluctant to do so. I am more willing to wait for the new drug from Amgen (Denosumab), since I have not had a fracture since I was a little girl.

Related Reading: Evista | Actonel | bone cancer

Comment from: Caremme, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 01

I have steroid induced osteoporosis. I have been taking Forteo for a little over a year with improvement in bone density. I have slight injection sight pain sometimes and also experienced some muscle spasms that have mostly gone away with continued treatment.

Related Reading: muscle spasms

Comment from: Heather49404, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 22

I have been on the Forteo for 9 months because I have osteoporosis/Degenerative Disc Disease. Had surgury on my neck in March 2008. My beginning experience with Forteo was good, however the last two months I have had bad bouts with the my bowels and lack of appetite. My stomach hurts all the time and I'm not hungry. My bone pain has increased and I now am having problems with pain in my jaw. This bone pain in so severe that it effects my abilitiy to walk. I however did have the bone pain prior to the use of Forteo. Some days my bone pain is worse than others. My doctors give me no explanation for this pain. I have recently stopped taking the Forteo and the bouts with my bowels has disappeared. I am still waiting for the doctor to get back with me as to what I should do now. I also have been taking multi vitamins, calcium w/D 1200 mgs. a day and was told by my doc to also take vitamin D-400 with D3 once a day for my Osteo. All together I'm not to sure as to weather I wan't to continue this medicine or just take a break from it for a month or two. Then try again. Prior to taking Forteo, I was on Boniva. I have had no bone scans done since the use of Forteo. I can only hope that when I go back into the doctors he will help me find out what is causing me to have such severe pain in my legs,hips and feet.Also the jaw pain concerns me. I guesss I worry about possible cancer or pagets disease. Hopefully everthing comes out ok. Best of luck to all of you who are on Forteo.

Related Reading: vitamins | Boniva | cancer

Comment from: concerned , 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 27

I took this injection from August to December. I had severe joint pain from my shoulders down to my hands. I also had swelling in my wrists, hands, and fingers. I was told no one else had a reaction like this to this drug.

Comment from: Candie Shirley-daughter, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 01

My mother who was taking this medication for 3 months passed away. She had a sudden enlarged vestibular tumor and an enlarged thyroid, causing her to have difficulty swallowing. She then developed aspiration pneumonia. She was admitted to the hospital on December 20, 2007 and passed away on January 11, 2008.

Related Reading: pneumonia

Healthy Bones

Get tips and advances in treatment.