Fosamax User Reviews

Fosamax - User Reviews

Fosamax User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Fosamax sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 08

I have taken fosomax for approximately 2 years. I have had the worst muscle,joint and especially back pain and I could not understand why. It is the worst pain to live with. I will not continue with this medication..

Comment from: punky, 65-74 (Patient) Published: January 25

Five days after starting this drug, I awoke to the worse muscle joint pain I have ever encountered. From fingers to toes...all joints affected. Have been told by Rheumatologist NEVER to use this or a similar drug again. I was never told this was a side effect.

Comment from: Joanne, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 07

I took one pill of fosamax in the morning and by 3am the next morning i woke out of sound sleep with severe back pain. of course i didn't get much sleep that night. i went to work in the morning as usual (just because i had to...i was the only one to do the work). i couldn't figure out where this pain came from, because i hadn't done anything different except take this pill. i use to make it a habit not to look at the hand out for the side effects for a medicine, just so i could give it a fair chance. however, that day, knowing that taking that pill was the only thing i had done differently, i went home at lunch time to read the little paper and found out that if you have severe back pain (which they say is not usual), you should immediately call your doctor. so i called my doctor and found out that i could see him 4 days later. so i made an appt. to see the dr. this pain made me feel like i was 90 years old. i could barely get in and out of my car and sitting at work was very difficult and then when i walk around I had to hold my body in a certain way as to not move it too much because of the pain.....it was horrible. i went three days like this. after a long day at work, all i could manage when i got home was to lay on the couch or bed for the rest of the evening. the morning that i had to go to the dr. i woke up pain free. i went anyway and the dr. grilled me as to whether i had done anything like exercise or anything unusual to get this back pain...of course i hadn't .. he told me that he thought that it was from the fosamax, but that i could try another pill the next week and see if it happens again....you can be sure that i did not take another pill. well, i still have osteoporosis, and recently i have been thinking about taking boniva ( my mom takes it with no problems), but then i went to the site like this one for people writing about their experiences with boniva and i am thinking that i will just live with my osteoporisis.....

Related Reading: sleep | boniva

Comment from: grammy25, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: July 12

I took fosamax for 4 years.I had a knee replacement 2 and a half years ago due to osteoporsis and arthiritis. I had great results and could not be happier until I started having trouble with my knee again. I had to have my knee replacement done over again and the Dr. said my tibia was desinagrating because of a side effect of the fosamax. Guess what? That was not on the warning of side effects. I could not believe my ears but both Drs. say it was the Fosamax. Now I have really bad hip and leg pain in th other leg. I am waiting to have a complete body bone scan. I am a little scared at what they will find. I don't recommend it for anyone knowing the pain and suffering it has caused me. There is a class action suit against Merck but they would not take me because everyone else in has been in the jaw or teeth. I guess my knee replacment was my weakest point.I wonder if ther is more people like me.

Comment from: Sandi, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 02

1st dose was fine. No side effects. With 2nd dose, I developed flu-like symptoms by evening - lasting 24 hrs. When that eased up, I had arthritis-like pain, swelling, heat, redness in forearms, wrists, hands. That lasted about 4 days. That was followed on Day 5 by shooting pain throughout my body that lasted for 3 days. One day with no symptoms and then severe stomach pain started. 8 on a 10 scale. Could hardly walk or move. Felt like my core muscles were affected as every move that would involve core muscles was painful. Pain was mild if I laid perfectly still. Even laughing hurt. It's been a little over 2 weeks and all symptoms seem to have cleared up. I won't be taking this again, and I'm very leary of the other osteoporosis medications now. Way too many people are reporting very severe symptoms just like what I experienced! My mother had such severe osteoporosis that her bones were down to a lace-like structure by the time she died. She could be sitting still in a chair and have ribs break. She was on morphine so much in the last couple of years that her personality changed. I know first-hand that's not a fate I want to experience, but destroying the current quality of my life to prevent that outcome doesn't make any sense either.

Related Reading: flu | arthritis

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 01

I experienced debilitating bone, muscle and joint pain I was sure if it progressed, i would be using a walker in a few months. I began to feel relief two weeks after stopping the medication. Now, a few months later, I feel very close to normal. My ankle still bothers me occasionally, but that , too, is decreasing. I call it my Fosamax kick. I told my doctor that he doesn't have enough money to make me take that pill again. I would rather risk the possible effect of osteo than the certainty of disability from Fosamax.

Healthy Bones

Get tips and advances in treatment.