Fosamax User Reviews

Fosamax - User Reviews

Fosamax User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Fosamax sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: landiec, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 24

The side effects of this medication are awful and lingering (I stopped treatment 3 weeks ago) - almost unbearable bone pain. I have since discovered that it was used in industrial applications and as a cleaning agent. What is the FDA thinking allowing such a product to be ingested in humans?

Comment from: SONICBOO, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 24

HORRIBLE! A NIGHTMARE!if your MD sez to take this drug... run!! DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE EVER TAKE FOSAMAX IT IS DANGEROUS!! I stopped taking it and got a weight walking vest recommended by the osteoporosis foundation by nyk company,and am now getting strong bone back where I had lost it.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 06

I would like to thank everyone who has shared his or her experiences with Fosamax. It may be small consolation for what you have suffered but you have probably saved me untold misery. I am a 58-year-old woman, healthy, and take no medications. Recently I went to a Health Fair Heart Screening and had my heel screened for bone density. The result came back “abnormal”. I went to my Doctor and he referred me for a Bone Mineral Density Test. My hips came backed rated at osteopenia and my back with osteoporosis. Amazingly, my Doctor said “It isn't fair”. He said I was being compared with 30 year old women. (Now I know that bone loss is a natural part of the aging process and tends to accelerate after menopause.) However, he prescribed Fosamax. I purchase it, but before I took any, since I had never heard of Fosamax, I googled it and came to this web-site. I immediately came to the same conclusion others had. I would rather have a broken bone then suffer self-inflicted cronic illness. Next, I needed to get rid of the medication I had just purchased. I would not flush it because our city water is recycled. I did not want to just throw it away in case someone inadvertently got ahold of it. I decided to put it in a plastic baggy and add water then throw away. Imagine my surprise when the instant the water touched the pills they were instantly completely dissolved - instantly a white milky substance! That tells me that this pill would have been dissolved as it went down my throat and esophagus! Scary. As for me I will continue exercising, eating right as best I can, taking my calicum and vitamin D, and praying.

Related Reading: osteopenia | menopause

Comment from: Secretary, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 17

Medicine-Alendronate Sodium 70mg Tawat - I was diagnosed with Ostopenia. I took my one and only tablet on Wed. 1-7-09. I followed all the instructions carefully-took at 6:00a.m with only water. No food or drink until 8:30a.m.-Stayed upright the whole time. When I took the medicine, I felt like it lodged in my throat. I kept swallowing to get it moved down. I couldn't wait until I was able to safely eat something to get it pushed down my throat. I started feeling the effects of bloating and stomach gases by Wed. afternoon at work. By Thursday, my stomach was really upset. I could have spent the whole day in the bathroom. I was having diarreha, muscous in stool, a different odor and consistentency. I knew right away, the medicine was not agreeing with me. It felt like it was taking all of the fluids involved in my digestive track and distributing them throughout my body. These fluids are very good at digesting food and have their purpose, but need to remain where they are useful. It took me until the following Tuesday to get my body's system back to normal. I told my Doctor I was not taking this anymore. He now wants me to research Evista and see if I would consider taking it. I just read the reviews online. Side effects-Stroke, blood clots, leg cramps, severe hot flashes, weight gain. Sounds even worse. No thanks-I'm not being another test subject. I'm exercising and taking my calcium, vitamins, and all my calcium rich foods.

Related Reading: Evista | Stroke | blood clots

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 12

Had to stop taking, had an effect on my jaw and joint, eventualy could not chew at all. After about 3-4 months I gradually regained the use of my jaw.

Comment from: Ilse Albert-Lieberthal, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 22

I'm in tears reading others reviews. I have been in severe muscle and bone pain. I had no idea what was going on with my body. I've been taking Benazepril/(generic Fosamax) drug for 8 months. I can barely walk with my hip pain, arm pain....my bones hurt so bad. I had no idea what was going on, I was told it was arthritis. Then this morning I turned the TV on and saw the tail end of a Bonevia commercial just hearing Sally Fields say side effects bone and muscle pain. The light bulb went on in my head and I did a search and was shocked that others stories here are similar to mine. Today is the first time in months that I have faith that I may be able to live pain free by stopping taking Fosamax. I will be calling my Dr. as soon as her office opens today.

Comment from: Chickie56, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 29

Have been on Fosamax since March, 2008 after a dex scan said I have Ostopenia. I have had severe joint pain in my hips. Some days I can hardly walk without being in pain, forget about climbing up the stairs.My doctor said I need to do weight bearing exercises which I do 3 days a week now. So I also take Tylenol Arthritis just to get through the day. This is crazy! I wonder if the Fosamax is causing my joint pain? Also, I can hardly sleep at night, my legs are just killing me.

Related Reading: Tylenol

Healthy Bones

Get tips and advances in treatment.