Fosamax User Reviews

Fosamax - User Reviews

Fosamax User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Fosamax sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: nomar, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 12

I took 1 pill and the next day I was hurting in my Rt. shoulder and lower back. Day 2 I started having spasms in my left lower back. Day 3 pain increased. By day 4 my rt. thumb and wrist hurt. Day 5 both wrists and rt. thumb hurts. I did not get a return call from my doctor. Time for a new doctor...will never take another Fosamax

Comment from: michele, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 11

I was on Fosamax Oral for approx 3 years. I have been diagnosed with Osteopenia. I have heard that this drug has an affect on the jaw. I woke up one morning and I could not open my mouth. I have stopped taking this drug. It's been about 2 months but the side effects of my jaw still remain. My dentist says it's TMJ. I've had two bone mineral density tests which only revealed that the condition has not gotten worse but not any better. I am on calcium w/Vit D (1500mg) and take one daily. I personally do not like taking this drug and if I have to double up my calcium and eat foods to help maintain my bone health then I will do that. I would not recommend this drug to anyone.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 17

Since taking Fosamax I have noticed a slight congestion in my sinuses and throat. I have heard this can be caused by the medication. Is this true>

Comment from: bm46, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 24

I only took 6 pills (once a week) and started having severe muscle/joint pain in my shoulders, neck, hips and low back. Severe stomach distress - gas, bloating, constipation, gurgling sounds. I just happened to go look up side effects on this medication and found that I was not crazy but many people have the muscle/joint pain. It was so severe I could hardly get out of the bed, or turn over in the bed, raise my arms or stand up straight. I went to my Dr. and told him the symtoms and told him I felt it was from the Fosamax so he let me get off of it and will look at lab work in another month or so and will decide on an alternative medication to take. I am scared to take anything now. I have been off medication for 2 weeks and still have pains, trouble raising my arm over my head etc. but my stomach has settled down and the pain has significantly decreased.

Comment from: ahw, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 07

It's too easy to forget by taking it only once a week. All that mess about not eating or lying down for "30 minutes, preferably 1 to 2 hours" after taking it means that if you forget and drink coffee and take other meds, you have to put off taking it until the next day, when you might forget again. I liked Evista better. Take it once a day and forget it.

Comment from: DonnaC, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 17

I started worrying at the age of 50, because each time I'd bend or twist,it felt and sounded like my back and neck were made of gravel.It freaked me out!Three days ago,(1yr later),I was diagnosed with DJD and Osteoporosis.My mom and her mom both had it.I took my first dose of fosamax 2 days ago.Now I'm sitting at my desk and I have horrible pain in between my shoulders radiating down my spine. It's obviously the med. I'm calling my doc and asking for something else. This is scary for me because when my grandmother passed away, she was so hunched over, her spine had to be broken in order for her to fit into the coffin. The thought of that is upsetting. I work in the nursing field and have witnessed first hand how a fracture alters ones quality of life. It affects both the physical and mental being.The loss of ones mobility is coupled with feeling frustrated and anxious about the loss of independence and can eventually lead to loss of self worth, will and hope.Often those patients are then diagnosed and treated for depression. In the elderly the change is often permanent. I'm glad to have been diagnosed early in life. I just hope I'm able to find a treatment that's right for me. God I hope there's a treatment out there that doesn't have side effects that are worse than the problem that's being treated!!!! I'm open to any and everybodies advice.

Related Reading: fracture | depression

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 18

I was prescribed this drug when I moved from osteopenia to osteoporosis of the lumbar spine. I have been taking it weekly now for about two months. I don't know about it's effectiveness yet, but I developed constant aching in my jaws after the first week. Have stayed with Fosamax, hoping the ache would go away but it hasn't. I need dental work and I'm very worried about triggering the osteonecrosis of the jaw. I'm switching drugs, but they all look bad. Protelo (extremely popular in Europe, but not yet available in the U.S.) looks best. There are other things being researched - I just hope they get on the market soon.

Healthy Bones

Get tips and advances in treatment.