Geodon User Reviews

Geodon - User Reviews

Geodon User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Geodon sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: roseb1969, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 30

OMG! After terrible side effects of Lithium tx. and awful mood swings. My Dr. gave me Geodon to try. The first day I was a bit sleepy, but starting with my second dose, I became very clear minded and actually felt like I had energy of a normal person. Not manic energy. I have been able to sleep consistantly with out sleeping meds. This has been the wonder drug for me. with no side effects. I think if you are in a mixed state it works. No side effects at all. I only take it in the evening with dinner, and lexapro in the am. I was scared of all the side effects but they never happened. I am so grateful. Maybe this can help sombody else. thanks

Related Reading: Geodon | sleep | lexapro

Comment from: bjones229, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 20

First of all, I have been on this medication since 2005 and have had quite a few issues regarding this medicine. The withdrawl from the medication when lowering the dosage or missing a dose was horrible. I felt very panicky and had extreme anxiety. I couldn't sleep with out this medication and when I did take the medication it put me right to sleep. Now to the better part. When I would wake up in the morning I wouldn't have any of these side effects, however I was my normal self. Very unusual, to say the least. My recommendation is to not start on the medication unless you are really in need of a change. But if you begin and need to go off for any reason expect to be up all night and for several nights with flu symptoms and severe anxiety. Hope you found it informative.

Related Reading: anxiety | flu

Published: November 02

Lamictal, Cymbalta and Geodon. Excellent combination. Thank Goodness I am off the Risperdal. That was making me gain weight immensely. The only side effect I had from Geodon is mild sleepiness and for some reason I have this taste in my mouth like I swallowed aspartame or something sweet like it. Other than that I lost 8 lbs and I am in control of the anger/mood swings. I highly recommend Geodon.

Related Reading: Lamictal | Cymbalta | Risperdal

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 11

My pdoc gave this to me to use in conjunction with weaning off of Lithium. I am also on Lamictal currently. It is the first time in nine months and eleven different medications, that I feel like myself again. I am actually able to leave my house, enjoy my life and have energy. I am incredibly sensitive to rx's, so to find anything to relieve the side effects of going off of Lithium and not have any reactions is a Godsend. Every body is different and this drug does target a certain pathway and chemical in the brain, so it won't work for everyone. For me, I actually have hope now that I can live with this illness. Oh, and I've been stable for almost a month now, the longest that I've gone.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 22

I was put on Geodon at age 24 after a suicide attempt. First I was put on Zyprexa 7.5mg, that worked great but I gained almost 40lbs in less than two months. Not cool since I am or should I say was really fit. I was switched to Abilify. That did NOTHING at all. I couldn't even tell I took anything. No change at all. So then I was put on Geodon. I was told it was good for me and would lower my cholesterol. Not that that was an issue, but anyways. I started taking it, and became very very very very very ill. I was throwing up all day every day. I pretty much lived off of freeze pops for over a month. I was in and out of the hospital because of dehydration once or twice a week. Sorry to say I lost all of the weight in less than a month. I asked if it was my geodon and he said that that was not a side effect. I actually was sent to the cancer unit and tested for lukemia, hepatitus, lupus and even HIV! Very scary but none of which I had. I finally stopped taking it because I thought since I was throwing up so much that it was not even staying in me. Immediatly I got better. Dr. said I had to take it again. So I did three days later after feeling wonderful. And within 2 or three hours it started again. I called my Dr again to tell him I wanted to stop taking it. He said it was a coenceodence (spelling?)and to not stop it! I waited a day or two, I was fine. Took it again and got sick AGAIN! He still thinks I had a stomach bug. I refused to take it, and he refused to see me. My new Dr. said that it is a rare side effect but it is listed. I'm glad someone listened!

Related Reading: suicide | Zyprexa | Abilify

Comment from: macrent2, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 31

Geodon is one of those very tricky drugs. It must be carefully taken and administered for proper therapeutic use. I take it for the negative side effects of my illness and it works quickly and well. However, the startup side effects are very uncomfortable and can be nasty. I was started on 60mg at night and it knocked me out and made my manic the first 3 days. After this period it made me sleepy at night and not too manic. However after about 8 hours it would clearly begin to stop working and made me agitated. So now I am on 60mg morning and 60mg after supper. It works very strangely with food. If you eat a high fat/carbohydrate meal it can make you seem a bit lethargic so I eat high fiber (fruits and veggies) and it is milder. In all it has been a lifesaver!