Gleevec User Reviews

Gleevec - User Reviews

Gleevec User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Gleevec sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: A Howe, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 25

At first there are somer side effects like, eye swelling, rashes on legs,arms, and sometime stomach, and edema on the ankles, these symptoms will taper off. Your white blood count will eventually get very low and you might get sick with a cold or worsre so you may have to stay away from the general public so you don't catch any thing worse. This may be a major concern.

Related Reading: edema

Comment from: John V, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 31

I can't say enough about this medication. My white count was over 200,000 when I was first diagnosed with CML. Within 3 weeks of taking the medication my white count dropped 90% with the only side effect being diarrhea. I am down to two tablets per day, the diarrhea is occasional and treated well with Immodium and my PH chromosome count is around 1%. If ever there was a miracle drug, this is it.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: Momcat, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 07

I have been on Gleevec for almost 2 years now, and am in complete remission. It took a bit longer for me to achieve this, but once I did I have stayed there. Few side effects--nausea if I take it without food, diarrhea, some aching bones, but generally I work full time, take care of my family and raise my boys. Life is Sweet with this drug--I can't thank Dr Druker enough for inventing it.

Related Reading: Gleevec

Comment from: wills, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 13

I have been treated for going on 4 years. I am in remission and doing well. I sort of look like a raccoon sometimes because of side effects effecting my eyes. Pain, watering etc. Still some vomiting from time to time but, all in all I am doing great, am able to take hikes, walk the dog and enjoy family and friends. I feel lucky that I have this medication and wonderful medical support.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 12

Gleevec has saved my life! 6yrs in remission. It worked for me instantly.I have been at zero for all of my 6yrs. Thank God,Thank Dr. Druker for giving me my life back. Side effects too few to worry about! Life is Good!!!!!!

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 13

I've been on Gleevec since Jan, 2002. Been in molecular remission for a few years now. Most of the side effects come and go although I have a HUGE issue with muscle cramps/spams in my extremeties. There are times I can't even sign my name because my fingers cramp so much. Consdiering the alternative, I'll live with the cramping!

Related Reading: muscle cramps

Comment from: foxy, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 19

gleevec works really well at keeping my white count incontroll, but I have 9 side effects, some I have to take othere medications for, some i just suffer through.

Comment from: psavel@hughes.net, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 24

When I first started using it I was sick and threw up a lot.My eyes are red and always look funny. Some swelling and a lot of diarhea.Lots of aches and pains and low energy level. The drug is working for me though and I am in remission now and doing much better.

Comment from: Cathy, on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 03

Since I have been taking this medication my last two bone marrow tests have come back negative. The tests are not showing any trace of the CML.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 02

Been taking for 6 years and has kept it in check. Very few side effects

Comment from: buckeyegal , 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 12

I've been on this drug for alomst 2yrs. I call it the Mircle Drug. I had some side effects like weight gain (40 pounds),leg cramping and dirrahea. Other than that Life has been GOOD.