Gleevec User Reviews

Gleevec - User Reviews

Gleevec User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Gleevec sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: shawn, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 07

after a year and a half of taking this medicine @ 400 mg per day I am now in remission.this medicine works very well but is also very expensive.that is the only bad thing about it.i have to take it for at least 2 more years so I am hoping the price will come down.this is too expensive $3500.00 for 30 tablets.my kids have missed out on alot because all my money goes to the medicine but I am still alive thank you jesus

Comment from: Davidc, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 26

I had a large GIST near my colon, a very rare tumor; I was treated with 800 mg Gleevec for 5 months, and it worked to weaken the tumor cells and reduce their growth. It was removed intact in December 2007. I had minor side effects, diarreah, fatigue, gastro-intestinal discomfort. After surgery, I am taking 400 mg. pills for a year to prevent recurrence of tumor. Gleevec has worked well for me up to now. I recommend it for gastro intestinal stromal tumors.

Related Reading: tumor | fatigue

Comment from: bethoven, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 26

I have been taking this medication since Jan of 2008, so far I have had multiple side effects, edema of both legs, lot's of cramping in the legs and a general feeling of tireness,pain comes and goes in several area's. I hope this medication can help my type of cancer. Will stay on for now.

Related Reading: cancer

Comment from: railroadbob, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 05

I have been in remission over 6 years with this drug. The only side effect I have had is muscle cramps. It is very expensive but it works. I was on interferon for 2 1/2 years before this and the side effects were much worse

Comment from: JeannieAnn, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 29

I was diagnosed in Feb 2006. Have been in full molecular remission since Feb 2007. Could have bouts of nausea every time I take it, but have been taking Reglan with it and that, along with dr.'s approval of 6 days a week dosing, is not a problem. Have constant diarreha. At last visit, doctor said this will be a lifelong medication, but that's fine with me since it should give me a long life that I wouldn't have had without the Gleevec.

Related Reading: Reglan

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 06

I've been on gleevec since Jan 2006. works well, but a lot of side effects. weight gain. 30 lbs. diarrhea, hair loss, sensitive to sun, tiredness, no energy. bone pain, muscle cramps, and more. but is keeping my blood counts normal.

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: Glad to be Alive, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 22

I was on interferon injections for 10 years and began on Gleevec when it was still STL157 (in clinical trial). I went into remission fairly quickly and remain so. The worst side effect for me was diarhea, but the side effects of Gleevec are nothing compared to interferon and it has never lowered my red or white counts below the normal range. I was always anemic on the interferon and got infections easily---a serious viral infection caused me brain damage; that's when I got off the interferon and went to the Gleevec trial. I am so grateful for this drug! My life is pretty normal.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 07

I have been on this drug since 2002 and have had little or no side effects. Occasional bouts of dirarea and possibly some weight gain although I was overweight when I began taking the drug. I am delighted and grateful for Gleevec

Comment from: fustrated, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 15

gleeve has worked well in keeping my white count in control, unfortunately i've gained over 30punds since my diagnosis of november 2007. i'm curious, has anyone had the same problem.

Comment from: amazingthought, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 02

I started on Gleevec 9 2005 I have had issues most all have I also had to have a iron infusion after being on it 3 years my iron level got low and the BCR test or CBC did not catch it they had to run a iron test not sure what it was but I was so weak I couldnt get out of bed evenn though for months I told them I was having issues they jusst brushed it off. I have now severe joint pain inner and outer leg and feet cramping If I keep blankets on legs year around I get very few cramping. my platlets were over 1,000,000. when I was diagnoised I had had a surgery 6 months prior and they were 480,000 but no one told me to watch this I could of easliy had a stroke .I caught it in time now they are having many issues with it failing after 5 years so please keep details reports and let your oncolist know your concerns.These Dr are human if you dont like the answer dont take it its your life control everything. God Bless us all may we live to be old ! watch all chemicals and radition items cells micro and test all cause damadge.

Related Reading: stroke