Hydrea User Reviews

Hydrea - User Reviews

Hydrea User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Hydrea sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: fisherman, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 03

With 3 500mg-capsules daily, my platelets count hovers around 500,000-600,000. I am also on aspirin, statin, and atenolol regimens. Upset stomach, chest pains and breathing are my main problems. I have been on hydrea for over 20 years. I see my doctor every 3 moths. I stay active and am healthy, otherwise. I still fish and mow my own lawn.

Related Reading: aspirin | atenolol | hydrea

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 01

I have essential thrombocytosis and have been taking hydroxyurea for 3 months now, my platelet count was 2.1million very high i take 3 500mg capsules daily my count is now down to 458,000 normal range.. first few weeks very tired and headaches but after my body adjusted the side effects have gotten much better.. i am very worried about the long term side effects but just take one day at a time.

Comment from: essdeebee, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 05

platelet count was over 1,000,000.this drug eventually brought my platelet count to what is considered the normal range.

Comment from: Joyful in Him, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 25

I have Thrombocytemia and have been on Hydrea for 15 yrs. Currently (last few years) I have been on 1000/500 alternating every other day. Some months my dose is a bit higher.I do have some vision problems from this drug and a good bit of fatigue and confusion (at times). Symptoms are worse when my dose is increased. Usually my problems are headaches, nausea and extreme fatigue. My body does, however, adjust after several weeks to the increased dose.Taking this dose keeps my platelet count between 500-600 thousand. My main concerns are the long term side effects. I am just glad this drug is avilable because without it I would not have a very good quality of life. Very thankful for a fabulous Dr. in Chas. S.C. . An attitude of gratitude seems to make a big difference. The best way to feel better is to reach out to someone else and take your mind off of yourself :-)

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: jlw, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 21

I have ET and on this drug for about 1 year,, I take 1500 mg a day to bring my platelet count down to 440. So far just tired in the afternoon. I do worry about the long term effect.

Comment from: sandy, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 25

I take this for my condition of polycythemia vera (a blood disease)

Related Reading: polycythemia

Comment from: caray, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 18

e thrombocythemia,Have lowered platelet count to normal range.Have to adust dosage at times.Take pill 5xper week. Have a problem with itching at times. Not sure if this is my condition or the pill.

Related Reading: itching

Comment from: LeeBoss, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 13

I have myeloproliferative disorder and take two a day. My platelets were up to 945,000 and are down to 622,000. I have minor side effects; I drink plenty of water.

Comment from: lenber1951@tampabay.rr.com, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 05

Hydrea has controlled my Myelofibrosis for 10 years

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 12

Excellent; use for essential thrombocythemia

Comment from: pak4u, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 10

Treatment for polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia, 2+years after initial side effects, doing relatively well. (Although I catch just about every cold that is out there)

Cancer