Hyzaar User Reviews

Hyzaar - User Reviews

Hyzaar User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Hyzaar sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 01

I have SLE and it really did a number on me - I have since learned it really isn't for Lupus patients. It also did not lower my BP significantly. Be careful with this one if you have any of the autoimmunes - it is rought

Related Reading: Lupus

Comment from: Triathlete, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 16

Have been taking the medication (100/25 once a day) for several years--with some periods of total abstinence. Relatively effective in lowering BP to normal levels, but metratoprol needed to bring lower limit into range. Have experienced several side effects cited in earlier reviews, including fatigue, frequent urination (expected with diuretic included), foot pain/burning toes (YES this is a consequence of this medication--no gout symptoms previously), some ED, occasional gastric distress, and significant joint pain (may be from extant arthiritis/RA, but seems more severe), and some neuromuscular distress/cramping. Orange juice and bananas are good potassium supplements that help with the latter. I do believe that less stress, a better diet (I eat balanced nutritional meals and limit caloric intake but do indulge a sweet tooth too frequently), more exercise (I do yoga/pilates/walking, but no weight training or real cardio), and increased meditative practices could eliminate need for this medication entirely. I have accomplished this on two other occasions, with BP levels very good or borderline for periods of up to a year before BP crept up again. NOTE: I do have a serious vascular illness and Crohn's Disease which complicate this picture. Good luck to everyone in their quest for better health. In sum, Hyzaar is more effective than other BP meds I used (atenolol, cozaar, lotemax)but comes with several side effects that can offset its value.

Related Reading: foot pain | gout | stress

Comment from: britishsoulgirl, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been on this drug for 3 months At first it was half a tab, now Im on 1 a day trying to get off pills It does lower my pressure 109/68, I also lost 20 pounds Im thinking my blood pressure could be lower with out meds, I feel my pressure was up because of severe stress. I have mild side effect fatigue, You have to drink alot of orange juice or foods high in pottasium. and drinks lots of water. I take half a tab in the morning and the other half 10 hrs later. Im trying to ween my self of this but if I dont take the other half I feel it.

Comment from: newbie, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 05

Taking 50/12.5 mg hyzaar with 25 mg atenolol and it has lower my blood pressure. My head feels a little weird at times and I urinate often...but did so before I took medications. Overall just okay....I am looking forward to being drug free. I exercise, lost weight, eat well and working to reduce stress and get more sleep. I wish you all the best of luck!

Related Reading: atenolol | sleep

Comment from: Barb, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 13

Hyzaar 100/25 worked well. No problems. Aetna used losartan for my last refill. Terrible burning in bones of hand, swelling, numbness and awful pain in hands about 2 hrs. After taking. Pain in leg and hips. Just standing takes a while to get moving. I am a very active person. I certainly didn't develop arthritis over night. Top of feet hurt to touch. Just threw away Losartan. I'll have to pay out of pocket for Hyzaar. Nothing is worth the pain or spending my time in the bathroom every 30 -45 min. All night long. It's enough to driven a person crazy.

Related Reading: arthritis

Comment from: jojo209, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 10

Taking generic losartan hctz 100-25 for about 3 weeks now and at first I thought there were no side effects until I realize that I am becoming a very angry and impatient person. Avalide was making me dizzy and light headed - doctor switched. I just looked up the side effects and saw anxiety but I am getting close to physical violence. Anybody else feel this way?

Related Reading: Avalide

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 10

Have taken this drug for several years. Has done well in keeping bp normal. Only thing is diuretic keeps you going for a few hours. Changing because prescription company Caremark will no longer have on their formulary. Hate to change due to side effects of new drugs ie headaches, joint pain, slow heartbeat, etc. Ugh!