Imitrex User Reviews

Imitrex - User Reviews

Imitrex User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Imitrex sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: truexfangirl, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 25 year old female and have been a migraine sufferer for about 3 years now. I use Imitrex as an abortive, along with my preventative medicine and it works wonderfully! It takes away my migraine within an hour and I have no side effects. Highly recommend!

Related Reading: migraine | Imitrex

Comment from: on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 30

I have suffered from migraines since I was 13, I am now 20 and have been taking Imitrex for 4 years now. I can only take excedrine for headaches, and when I get migraines I need to use imitrex. I feel like it backfires really bad at first. im in my bed for hours, my jaw feels weird, but pain intensifies, but I feel like in some people it makes it worse before better. I wouldnt take anything else, I have tried other medications, but overall, just give it time. Try taking excedrine on top of Imitrex and put something cold on your head/neck. It helps ALOT. I heard they are coming out with a newer Imitrex, called something else with out the symptoms. I would reccomend this medication to others, I know the pain is intense, it just takes time to go away, so be patient and hang in there!

Comment from: smoochy43, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 23

I suffered with migrane headaches for days at a time and nothing would touch them including pescription pain meds and muscle relaxers. My doctor decided it was time to try the imitrex and what a reliefe it was. It made me feel very funny for about an hour but my headache was gone in less than 30 minutes. I do have some discomfort in my throat for a while after I take it and I kinda feel like there is pop rocks in my head but it is worth it.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: gail, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 27

This medicine is very expensive. Now that I don't have Prescription Drug coverage, I can no longer afford to refill. The $10 coupons helped some, but they expired too soon. I was only refiling the prescription every 3 months or so. The price has been increasing lately. Hopefully a generic product will become available soon.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 21

I have had migraines/mixed tension headaches for 24 years. Rebound headaches were a problem in my teens. When Imitrex came out I was very impressed by how effective it was. I have been using it for about 10-12 years and I am now experiencing some problems with my migraines not easing up like they used too. Also, I have began to experience "leg migraines" with my regular migraines. They only react to the statdose injection. My best advice to anyone out there who has just started having migraines is to try and avoid taking too much of any over-the-counter meds such as advil,excedrin,goodies,etc...They work great if you have about four headaches per month, but for people with more you need a triptan. Imitrex is great for about two headaches per week, but anymore than that and you risk being like me. I am resistant to about everything. That said, it still is the best thing going and far better than a visit to any E.R. P.S. One more piece of advice, please try and limit caffeine to one soda/coffee per day. And if you are like me, Never eat chocolate before bed!

Related Reading: teens

Comment from: mlingresham2, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 01

I have suffered from migraines since I was 12 years old. 13 years ago Dr. gave me Imitrex injections and then nasal sprays. The pills don't work for me as I generally throw them up. Imitrex has given me my life back. I do try not to use it unless it is a full blown migraine I wake up with, as there is a rebound effect to the medication. Usually Excedrin, and a short lay down will take care of a headache that comes on during the day.

Comment from: purpledot, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 27

As a fifteen year migraine sufferer and many a weekend ruined, my dear friends said "go to the doctor!" I finally met a physician who took migraines very seriously and listened carefully to my history. He prescribed imitrex with weekly follow-up appointments and he taught me how to manage my headaches with this amazing drug. It works and with his assistance, I learned the difference in dosage for me, the difference in taking the drug immediately at the beginning of a migraine and when to "double dose." It changed my life and, with annual physical exams, I keep the migraines controlled. I agree with many of the respondents that this is a miracle drug for many migraine sufferers. I am sorry for those that it has not been as effective. Change your dosage, try another migraine medicine - but do not give up. This is not aspirin. Work with a doctor who cares about migraines and believes in drug management for this disease. It is well worth the effort. Take care everyone.

Related Reading: aspirin

Living Better

Find the secrets to longer life.