Imitrex User Reviews

Imitrex - User Reviews

Imitrex User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Imitrex sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 12

This medication is the first one prescribed for my migraines. It works within 10 minutes. However one of the side effects I have it the tightness in my neck, jaw and shoulders. I had rather have the tightness than a headache. Another side effect that I have but have not seen it listed is when I touch my skin, it feels like my muscles are sore, or for lack of better words is my skin hurts.

Comment from: Peachy, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 16

I've suffered from migraines since I was 9 years old. Nothing worked. Prescription pain meds sometimes helped a bit, but made me sleepy. I might have to stay in bed for a day or more. I had nausea, but not vomiting. All those years, I was afraid to make any plans or look forward to anything for fear that I'd have a headache. I had read about Imitrex before it ever came out, and kept asking my doc when I could get it. As soon as it was available in pill form, I tried it...and felt my pain disappear! For the 1st time in my life, I was freed from that monster! I buy 50 mg tabs and cut them in half. My life now is as normal as anyone elses. This med was a God-send to me. It has truly changed my life for the better!

Comment from: shaleestardust, 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 15

this drug caused uncontrollable vomitting and it felt like i was going to pass out. i would never recommend it to ANYONE and i wish they would ban it. ><

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 29

Imitrex is either a wonder drug or absolutely horrible. For me it was a nightmare- I took one for a migraine and while it cured the headache (mostly), the side effects were WORSE. My head, jaw, throat, ear, chest- everything got tight, I had trouble breathing, I was sweating so badly I soaked my sheets, and i got extremely dizzy and nauseated. All this on one 50-mg dose! I took it 24 hours ago and I'm still having problems with tightness and aching in my neck and throat, and I'm feeling extremely lethargic. Worse, I'm getting a rebound headache. I wouldn't take Imitrex at all, except it's the only thing my insurance will cover. Relpax works better for me with lesser side effects (not much less, truth be told), but I can't afford to pay for it all out-of-pocket.

Related Reading: Relpax

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 21

Imitrex is fantastic ! I take the generic. I was on Midrin for years, but recently they stopped making it. And, as well as Midrin worked, it only worked when you felt a migraine coming on. It did nothing when you woke up w/ a migraine. But Imitrex does. Within 20-30 mins., head pain is gone. The only side effect is that my neck & jaw feel "clenchy", but it's very mild and subtle, and goes away within the 1st hour. Then, I'm headache free. I love this stuff ! I'm sorry to read some of the comments for whom Imitrex hasn't worked.

Related Reading: Midrin

Comment from: Dorothy, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 29

Imitrex is like a small miracle in taking away my migraine. But in the last six months or so I have experienced not being able to retrieve common words. Noticed that at least two other people have like experiences so will definitely bring this to the attention of my doctor. It was so comforting to know that others had this same experience.

Comment from: Alexandra , 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 13

I took Imitrex for 1 to 1.5 years but then I started having memory loss. Everyday thing and people I work with noticed before I did. I was forgeting how to do my job. I was taken off of the Imitrex and can back to normal.

Comment from: poptarts223, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 09

This drug was promised to me that it would relieve my migraines as long as I took them at the first sign of one. I took my first dose as instructed... didn't do a SINGLE THING to relieve symptoms, if anything it intensified my nausea and sensitivity to sound. At one point I thought I was going to vomit out my very soul!! TERRIBLE experience and I WOULD NOT reccommend this to ANYONE!!

Comment from: stepharpatleo, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 12

it's either a miracle drug or your worst nightmare - the injections worked well for me but when I was switched to the tablets for insurance purposes and, later, for patient assistance programs, I ran into huge problems - sometimes it took most of my migraine pain away but never all of it - I always experienced serious side effects, the kind that the label says "seek medical attention, stop taking medication," and I never did either - this past week, though, I had 4 migraines spanning 5 days and after the third day, I felt like I'd been run over by a mack truck, thrown down a flight of stairs, and hit with a bag of nickels - it has taken more than 4 days to recover and I'm still not feeling quite right - I will never take Imitrix again - unfortunately, having had migraines for 37 years, I've tried almost every medication in every category and have never found anything that really works ... and has no or few side effects - having a migraine is bad enough but dealing with scary side effects is just not okay by me anymore

Living Better

Find the secrets to longer life.