Implanon User Reviews

Implanon - User Reviews

Implanon User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Implanon sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 14

Hate it hate it hate it. I'm bleeding more often than not, have gained at least 15 lbs and my skin looks like s**t. I am stuck with this piece of crap in my arm because I currently have no health insurance- good luck convincing a midwife at PP to remove one of these. I thought this would be cheaper than the pill because of not having insurance, but the money I'm saving on the pill I'm spending on tampons. I have always had heavy irregular periods with bad cramping, and I never thought they could possibly be worse - until now.

Comment from: MistyJean, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 16

I have had implanon in for 6 months. I am still period free, and loving it. The only side effect that I experianced is a little weight gain, but that's just me over eating because the birth control makes you think you're pregnant, but it was only 5 pounds. I have been watching what I eat, and having portion control. When I had it put it, they gave me a shot of local pain medication, and then once I was numb they inserted it. It healed quickly, and since then I have been period free. I recommend this birth control for everyone. It is good for three years, and I don't have to worry about taking the pill everyday. I hope this is helpful when making your decision about birth control.

Comment from: Marisa, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 21

I actually had implanon for 3 years (original inserted when living overseas) and recently had a new one put in. I had painful periods and since I started implanon, it stopped my period, so no more pain. It has been the best thing for me.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 16

It made my breast fill up with milk (then it would go away and come back), got me very depressed, and a 15 lb. increase in weight in 4 months. I had it taken out within 5 months of having it placed and all sypmtoms went away except the weight. I never got a period while on this medication.

Comment from: raerichey, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 08

WORST BIRTH CONTROL EVER! I am a 24 year old mother of two. I decided to get this birth control because the pill has been hard for me to remember.I should have looked at user reviews before I got this and not trusted my doctor! As SOON as I got it I went home and felt horrible. It didn't hurt like I expected but I just felt nauseated. I have only had this for a month now and I have already gained 10 pounds in WATER. You can shake my legs like a water balloon and also my stomach (I was fit before this). It is disgusting. I had to be rushed to the ER because my legs went numb and they thought it was a blood clot. Turns out I have exsessive water retention and edema because of this birth control. It has also given me AWFUL mood swings to the point i am happy one minute and if I even trip I wanna punch a hole in the wall. I hate this! NEVER again will I get a birth control inserted into my body. DO NOT GET THIS!!!!

Related Reading: edema

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 23

Ok so I was on this thing for 3 yrs. Besides the 40 pound weight increase & mood swings. I only had about 4 periods a yr they were very short only 3 to 4 days long. I did get alot of headaches while using this but it did keep me from getting pregnant so it was worth it.

Comment from: KWIlk, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 20

I am FINALLY getting this thing out of my arm on Monday. I've had it in for a total of 3 months which have been HELL. I've gained weight non-stop. I eat well, live on a non-gluten diet, exercise and I am still packing on the pounds. How is this physically possible? Headaches from severe to mild every day. Heat flashes so bad I would think I was pre-menopausal! (I'm 27) Depression. I am a complete b*tch to be around. The hormones are making me crazy. Even Depo wasn't this bad!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 15

I HAD THE IMPANON PUT INT ME SINCE APRIL 2008 FOR THE FIRST THREE MONTHS I HAD A PERIOD. EVER SINCE THE I HAVE HAD NO PERIOD OR CRAMPING. I HAVE HAD NO PERIOD FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS THAT IS THE ONLY THING I LIKE ABOUT THIS. OTHERWISE, I HAVE HAD SEVERE MIGRAINES NO SEX DRIVE AND NOW I HAVE A PROLAPSED UTERUS DUE TO NO ESTROGEN IN THIS BIRTHCONTROL. SO I AM IN VERY SEVERE PAIN.IF YOU HAVE NON OF THESE SYMPTOMS THEN I WOULD SUGGEST IT OTHERWISE BIRTHCONTROL PILLS ARE THE WAY TO GO!

Comment from: hkn25, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 30

I had implanon put in in August 2008. I had my first baby in April 2008 and my doctor informed me that 'The depot' shot was the way to go, not happy with the weight I gained from the shot, I decided I would try implanon. It was great in the beginning, I had one period and a little bit of spotting for the first two months. By the end of October I started to become depressed, I had these crazy mood swings and my sex drive was basically in ruins. And my weight kept climbing!! I eat well and I try excercise once a day if I can. But gaining 30lbs in 8 months is not normal! My doctor suggested it was 'water weight' and put me on potassium pills that did absolutely nothing accept make me pee more, I lost no weight. As soon as I can get an appointment, I'm getting this thing taken out!!! If Implanon was the 'perfect all round birth control' every woman would be using it, but sadly, thats just not the case. WOMEN BEWARE!