Imuran User Reviews

Imuran - User Reviews

Imuran User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Imuran sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Published: July 27

I only experienced negative side effects--the most bothersome to me: a tumor on my face, that had to be removed--because of Imuran's risk of skin cancer--leaving a very large scar on my face. I also had bad acne, but was also on prednisone and asacol. The cystic acne left scars, which goes nice with the large scar I have from the tumor--I had perfect skin before; now my skin looks horrible. It gave me yellow skin (possible liver damage). I was sick the whole time I was on it, kept getting infections, and was always vomiting. I felt unusually weak and tired, and I know it wasn't my disease--I felt normal when I stopped taking Imuran. It also gave me warts. I wouldn't recommend using this if you're young. This drug, along with prednisone, really destroyed my self-esteem and ruined my life. It has serious risks--leukemia, lymphoma, and skin cancer. Your doctor's supposed to monitor you closely while you're on it; mine didn't. If you do use it, you absolutely have to have a competent doctor. If not, Crohn's will be the least of your worries. The Mayo Clinic even points out that because the way Imuran works some side effects might not be noticed until years after using it. "Also, because of the way this medicine acts on the body, there is a chance that it might cause other unwanted effects that may not occur until months or years after the medicine is used. These delayed effects may include certain types of cancer, such as leukemia, lymphoma, or skin cancer. However, the risk of cancer seems to be lower in people taking azathioprine for arthritis."[1] Your doctor should definitely tell you that before using it--mine didn't--and if yours doesn't, find a new doctor; that's their job; they're actually legally required to tell you that; they know nothing will happen to them if they don't though. So the ones that just care about money, they won't. [1]http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR601561

Related Reading: tumor | Imuran | skin cancer

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 02

I still had a UC flare up in spite of increased dose. Recently had B-12 and folate anemia, but seems to have cleared up with prescription pre-natal vitamins (not for pregnancy). Recently learned that my doctor was suprised to find out that brand name drug "Imuran" was substituted with generic azathioprine and she said that they are different in the way the dosages are prescribed and that could explain why it wasn't working (my dose was metabolized too well by my body and thus was not therapeutic) for the past year. She and I will begin adjusting my dose accordingly now, knowing that I'm taking azathioprine instead. Be sure your doctor knows if your pharmacy/insurance substitutes generic for Imuran. I'm also going to try to get off this med soon after the flare is under control so that my husband and I can start a family. Not allowed to take it while pregnant or nursing.

Related Reading: anemia | vitamins | pregnancy

Comment from: Average Joe, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 03

Make sure you watch the side effects of this drug. Within 3 weeks of taking Imuran I was in the emergency room with inflamed pacreatitus and swollen stomach stomach problems. This drug basically cased my digestive system to swell shut. after a CT scan, Upper chest X ray, Gall Bladder scan, ndocsopy and 3 days in the hospital it was found that Imuran caused the issues.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 15

After a year of being on prednisone off and on, and taking asacol that the enitre time with no effect, and living on pain medication for the entire time, while still having severe Crohn's sympotoms, I started Imuran, it took awhile to take effect, but for the fist time in over a year, I can eat with little pain, and my symptoms continue to decrease.

Related Reading: asacol

Comment from: duffer, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 24

I've been using this drug for about 20 years and it has been extemely effective in controlling my Crohn's disease. I've had no side effects and no reoccurances since I been on this drug. I have my blood checked every 3 months, no problems.

Related Reading: Crohn's disease

Comment from: danb113, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 08

Have been taking Azathioprine for about 4 yrs. and have had great results. Yes you have to get bloodwork done regularly, but rather that than running to the bathroom. Only downfall I have had is I noticed aching joints, elbows, shoulders especially. Side effect, I don't know?

Comment from: Kaylah Morozov, 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had UC for years yet in only 16. After having 2 painful stays in the hospital because of the disease my dotors gave me imuran. It took a month to begin working and i finally go my life back. I didnt swell up like i did with prednizone and i wasnt moody or rude, i could run and made varsity soccer at high school! Imuran is a little dangerous and you need to have you blood taken but if your confident and trust your doctor and yourself i do recommend it. -Kp