Imuran User Reviews

Imuran - User Reviews

Imuran User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Imuran sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Midwest UC Warrior, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 04

Medication takes several months for full effectiveness, but has been very effective in maintaining remission. The upside: I now take meds once/day (rather than Asacol 3x/day), and I have experienced no side effects - my bloodwork always looks very good. The downside: Bloodwork every 3 months to monitor liver function. When the work schedule is hectic it is a nuisance to have to work in a trip to the lab, but it is certainly worth it to maintain remission. Also,the blood test that is needed to thoroughly check Imuran levels can only be done by a lab in California, and is not covered by my insurance (but I've only had to do that once).

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 19

This drug worked well for me in relieving my Crohn's disease for a couple of years. The side effects were minimal, though I did catch colds much more easily and did get a case of chicken pox, despite having them previously. Unfortunately, it has stopped working as well for me. We don't know if we should edge up the dose, carefully, because of previous low white blood count on 6-MP or if it is time to move to Remicade or another treatment.

Related Reading: Remicade

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 25

This medicine took months to improve my Ulcerative Colitis and I'm still not in remission. So my doctor had me go up to 150 mg. and now my hair is falling out.

Related Reading: Ulcerative Colitis

Comment from: cameo, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 14

No flare-ups since being on this medication. Previously, flare-ups occurred two or more times per year.

Comment from: Charli, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 08

I've been on it for 18 years and it's been wonderful, without it I can not walk or breathe without assistance

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 25

I have only used this drug for 6months, but I already have my life back

Comment from: Amber, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 17

It took about three months to work. I did experience nausea, stomach irritation and loss of interest in food. It pulled me out of a stubborn lupus flare at 150mg but I am going back into another one. I refuse to take steroids after several fairly bad experiences. So far a pretty good med though.

Related Reading: lupus

Comment from: sytap@cox.net, on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 14

I actually have ulcerative colitis. I take Imuran along with Asacol and it has pre- vented me from re-occuring, I am on 100 mg. a day. My eye Dr. said it could cause damge to my eyes. Is this a known side effect? I started out on 75 mg. a day but my GI DR. increased my dosage to 100 mg. a month ago. I have noticed some numbness in my fingers and my skin cracking a bit around my nails the last few days. Is this a side effect, also. I had been on Imuran (75mg.}since 2008, without any side effects. Should I be in touch with the DR. about the above? Thank you.

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 17

I have had UC since I was 13 and treated with all kinds of steriods. Since using Imuran my uc has completely gone away. I have gained 20 lbs b/c for the 1st time in my life I can eat!

Comment from: carol, 35-44 (Patient) Published: January 14

i have battling crohns for 24 yrs.two bowel resections ....been on imuran for 15 yrs. and it has been keeping crohns quiet

Comment from: crohn's girl, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 27

I'm going on some 20yrs. of treatment for IBD, I have taken or done most everything out there to date. Prednisone,lots of drugs,2-intestinal bypass, at present time I'm taking 200mg of Imuran aday. For many yrs I was taking 50mg. then 100mg. after my last blood test they uped to 200mg. my HG has droped to 10.6 & Hemat. is at 32. I am brusing, really tired all the time. I had been doing great until this last increase.