Intuniv User Reviews

Intuniv - User Reviews

Intuniv User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Intuniv sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: azheaven, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: May 16

My son (6 y 2 mo) has been taking Intuniv 3 mg for 17 months and it has been a life changer. He was diagnosed with Oppositional Defiance, ADHD...He was extremely defiant and distruptive at school. He was also very senstive to external noises, light as an infant/toddler. He has tested to be highly intelligent, well above his age. With Intuniv he is now successful and part of the gifted program. The school psychologist has been amazed by the "new" little boy she now observes in the classroom. He has been released from Special education (due to ODD/behavioral issues) and is now strictly 504. We did have to switch to taking it at night vs morning. After about 6 months of use, it was making him too tired during the day. Taking it at night is perfect. We do hope we can work on modifying his behavior and rewiring his brain so that he does not have to take meds "forever". We do hope to avoid stimulant use as well. I too have ADHD and went on Vyvanse for 6-8 months. During this time i worked intensely on my own cognitive/behavioral modification and was able to quit taking the medication. It takes a lot of conscious effort to "do well", but I was able to do it and I am helping my son learn to understand his "gift" and how to function within society's expectations. he will always march to a different drummer...but most likely he will be leading and creating / inventing. ADHD is a gift not a sentence!

Related Reading: Intuniv | ADHD | Vyvanse

Comment from: Haildancer, 7-12 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 28

My 8 year old son has been taking Intuniv for 3 weeks now. He has titrated up to 2mg so far, but I noticed a difference the very first week! He was taking Vyvanse 20mg, but we found that he had developed a tolerance for it. When we attempted to increase his dose, 30mg was just too much for his little 50lb body to handle...he developed terrible side effects! Tics, excessive talking, not sleeping, not eating. So I did some research and found Intuniv. I was skeptical, since it is newly used for this purpose (Tenex was the shorter acting version of this drug, which was used for Tourette's and high blood pressure). But after thoroughly researching the clinical trials on both Intuniv AND Tenex, I decided that it couldn't hurt to give it a try. After all, this isn't a stimulant...and the list of side effects is SIGNIFICANTLY shorter and less severe. So far, it is fantastic stuff. We're going with 20mg Vyvanse during the tiration period, and may or may not stop it once the Intuniv is fully effective. If you are considering this one, especially if your child does not do well with stimulants, and Strattera didn't work for you (sure didn't for us!)...give it a shot. I am pleasantly surprised, and pleased, that we don't have to increase the dose of stimulants anymore. Awesome.

Related Reading: high blood pressure | Strattera

Comment from: 7-12 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: March 25

My son is 10 years old we have tried all meds. Some of which caused sever mood swings. When we first tried Intuniv we took him off all other meds. He did ok on 1 mg then we moved up to 2mg( still a little hyper but all other areas great improvement) then to 3 as he went to 3mg he was a walking zombie. We went back down to 2mg. There was an adjustment period where we found he still needed the daytrana patch but at a small dose to stay focused. He was unable to take the daytrana at higher does due to weird side effects. I have discovered a new child. He no longer tries to hurt other kids or his little sister. He is actually making friends now, in the past no one would stay his friend for long. He no longer fights me to do his chores or homework. He will even joing the family now for activities. In the past he always just wanted to play video games. We now limit all video games to 1 hr a day. This really helped reduce the aggression issues as well. This med helps if you do no give up on it right away but watch his blood pressure and heart rates. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY SLEEP AIDS WHILE TAKING THIS MED. INCLUDING BENEDRYL. Also in the beginning I call the makers of Intuniv and they were very helpful in aswering my questions without pushing their drug. If you are having problems with them being sleepy during the day try giving the meds around 4-6pm.

Related Reading: daytrana | SLEEP

Comment from: Mikeys-Mamaw, 3-6 Female Published: March 25

It has made a drastic difference in my Grandsons overall attitude including his ODD, Obssesive Defiance Disorder and Serious Anger problems. I saw a change within a couple days. He has been Loveable, doing what he's asked the first time...well not cleaning his room...LOL He is 6 after all and has been like this sense he was 3. But after taking the trial pkg of 2 bottles we got from the doctor, my Grandson started started on the 2mg ER. He's on his first week and is starting to have stomach aches. He normaly eats after dinner again before bed so I'm going to make it cereal (lots of milk to coat his stomach) and give him the intuniv then. I hope it works cause I have raised him since he was 4 months old and watch him get progressivly worse. Now we have found something that has given me hope that we both can have a normal life (whats normal any more any way?) By the way he has tried several different kinds of ADHD Meds alone and is now on Concerta which was helping more than the Ritalin that he was on previously or the other ones before, but it seemed those aggitated his other problems while helping the ADHD. I honestly feel Intuniv was God Sent, at 52 I wasn't sure how much longer I was going to be able to keep up with all my Angels problems. My grandson also has Aspergers Syndrom. It has alot of the same symptoms as ADHD and he couldn't show his feelings before unless it was Anger. Now he tells me he Loves me and Kisses me so many times a day, that at first all I could do is cry. And Thank God. Praying it keeps working, Mikeys Mamaw

Related Reading: Concerta | Ritalin