Intuniv User Reviews

Intuniv - User Reviews

Intuniv User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Intuniv sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: kmac, 7-12 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 27

After trying every med in the book i didn't know how to help my son.He has high functioning autism,adhd,ocd and shad lots of problems with agression.At7years old he was begining to hate himself.Intunive is a miracle for him.He has been at 1mg for 8 weeks and may need to increase the dose to 2 soon.For he first 2 1/2 wks he was so drowsy he looked drugged.I switched to an evening dose.But suddenly one day he wasn't tired anymore.He actually walked through the house and we went to a movie and he sat throught the whole thing.I cried he whole way home.His mind and body were much more at peace.I think it is a drug that is worth a try.Stmulants for some kids can increase anxiety and cause more anger.I am so happy with this med.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: Kobe's mom, 7-12 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: December 23

My ten year old son takes Intuniv. He has ADHD and struggled in school because of the symptoms. He has been taking it for a year and the only side effect was drowsiness. We gave it to him at bedtime until he tolerated the dose. The drug is expensive and our insurance covers very little. He takes one milligram so, we purchase a 90 day supply and cut the pills in half: this gives us a six month supply. My son also participates in martial arts and basketball to assist him in self-control. He had trouble making friends because he inadvertently invaded people's personal space. Intuniv coupled with a therapeutic routine has given him the confidence he needs.

Comment from: Cornmanl4, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: May 16

My son take this for ADD (no hyperactivity). We tried several drugs with no success. This medicine has done wonders for my son. He is like another kid....and I love it!!! He is making straight A's!!!

Comment from: MomieX5, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 25

We have had three children on intuniv - our 11 y/o with extensive issues is already on other meds, and we're still hoping Intuniv will replace the clonadine he takes; our 9 y/o son is taking it for ADD and it has been effective - especially once we got through the falling asleep and switched to taking it at night. Now for the dissatisfaction - our 6 y/o daughter, dxed with ADHD has had the same initial reactions as our sons - it worked to help her focus in school - but she would nap when she got home - not a bad thing. That is no longer an issue - but the aggressive behavior has become a nightmare. We are at our 2nd week on the second month at 2mgs. Concentrating improved at school, but her impulsivity is back - and she is so very angry. This is beyond tantrums and is as if watching this out of body anger, out of her control ballistic, and frightening behavior. As of today, we will continue with Concerta (is only day 2), and will be taking her off of Intuniv. So you can take this as a mix review by a mom with 3 (of our 5) children experiences. Good luck to all - this is a ever-changing journey for our wonderful children - answers are out there, you just have to keep looking for them.

Comment from: alwells, 7-12 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 29

My daughter actually did quite well the first week on a small dosage. Then the doctor upped her dosage to and her blood pressure dropped severely. To make a long story short, we ended up transporting her to the hospital in an ambulance due to SEVERE drop in her blood pressure. It was a nightmare I don't wish on any other mother. Beware of kids seeing spots and extremely sleepiness.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 17

My 9 yr. old (67lbs.) has ADHD, is currently taking 20 mg of Ritalin a day. Was still not able to control his impulses so we started 1 mg. of Intuniv also. At first it worked wonders, but he was very tired. Each week he seemed more tired, dark circles appeared under his eyes and his voice was nearly gone. After 4 weeks, I took him to our family doctor. His blood pressure was 80/50 VERY LOW! His throat was exptremely dry and his weight had dropped. While the medicine was effective for the ADHD, his healthy was deteriorating. We stopped it immediately and are now searching for something else. Please monitor your child's blood pressure while on this medication

Comment from: miriam2006, 3-6 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: March 03

My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 5. Her Doctor prescribed one 1mg of intuniv 1td and 0.2 of clonidine at night to sleep with. The clonidine made her grey in color and almost like a zombie effect took place. So i stopped the clonidine and continued intuniv. I have found that most dr's prescribed intuniv with another adhd medication as intuniv for a "boost" i only give her one 1mg 2x's a day. One before school, and the other at bedtime. It does work well. But if you read the instructions for use it says to use no longer then 9 weeks. I have used it for about 6 mths and i can tell that its potency isnt as strong as it was in the beginning. Overall intuniv has the least side effects and os a great med for treating ADHD in children. I do recomend it for a child that is newly diagnosed and for parents to start them on something mild. If you were like me i did not want to put her on meds and thought the problem was my fault and it wasent even mine or hers. But i believe it is better to treat it know than to wait to late in there life to start medication therapy. Thanx you and gOd Bless you all for it can be a struggle sometimes in this situation. :)