Januvia User Reviews

Januvia - User Reviews

Januvia User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Januvia sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 28

I was diganosised with type II in januray 2008, my a1c was 9.7. The doctor put me on Janumet 50/500 1 tab BID. I also took the diabetic class through out local hospital and learned not only about being diabetic, but how to change your eating habits to a more healthy diet. ALso exercise plays a big parts in the control...medication alone will not do it. I have lost almost 40 in 6 months. At my last doctors appointment the blood work showed that my a1c was doen to 5.0 my doctor as me "what the hell I was doing." He was very please with my results. If all continues on I will be taken off of my high blood pressure and cholerstrol medication. I have had no side effects at all which is really unusal as I am allergic to 9 different medications. My only drawback to this medication is the cost with it being a new medication the co-pay is high actually the highest tier with my insurance. The God my doctor can give me samples.

Related Reading: Janumet | high blood pressure

Comment from: twogrannies00 , 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 15

Have taken 100 mg for a year. Even with an occasional cheat my BS levels are well within desired range, and my a1c is 6.4. Only side effect is mild constapation, which is cured with bran cereal. Clearly from other reviews this doesn't work for everyone, but for me it is a wonder drug. There are no crashes to worry about and no dangerous highs.

Comment from: Concerned Spouse, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 15

My husband, age 71, was prescribed Januvia, 100 mg/day,in Dec 2007 in addition to the glipizide and metformin he was already taking. It did lower his BS somewhat—he saw more readings under 100 mg/dl and fewer over 220. On the downside, as the weeks went by, he was feeling more and more lethargic; had less energy; felt cold all the time, especially at night; experienced severe nocturnal leg cramping; had persistent, severe constipation which led to his abdomen being hard and distended; and his blood pressure began creeping up. He also noticed a loss of taste and smell, also of balance and stability. In other words, he was feeling pretty crummy. He lasted on Januvia less than three months, from 21 Dec 2007 to 2 March 2008 when he stopped taking it. Within a day or two of stopping the Januvia he began to feel like a new person. Januvia being the only new addition to his meds, it was the prime suspect. Generally, he is feeling much better, most of his adverse reactions having subsided; however his BP and BS levels are still higher than before Januvia which have him concerned that Januvia might have changed something, hopefully not permanently. He now gets BS readings routinely in the high 200s, whereas pre-Januvia he would have to enjoy a dish of ice cream or a big meal out to get those readings. It is as if the glipizide and metformin are no longert effective and, despite cutting way back on carbs and increasing the exercising, he is finding getting back into control is more difficult than ever. Is Januvia going to be another drug rushed to market before adequate testing was done?

Related Reading: constipation

Comment from: MILK, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 12

I HAD A TERRIBLE REACTION TO THIS MEDICATION. AFTER ONLY 2 DOSES, I EXPERIENCED ACHES AND STIFFNESS IN BOTH CALFS OF LEGS. WITH THIRD DOSE, I EXPERIENCED HORRIBLE STABING PAIN IN LEFT TOES THAT OCCURRED EVERY 30 SECONDS TO 2 MINUTES FOR AT LEAST 23 HOURS. WILL NEVER TAKE THIS MEDICINE AGAIN.

Comment from: bettielittle, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 17

Since using Januvia, my blood sugars are not dropping below normal which was the original problem. They are now going above normal ranging from 140 to 300. This drug was suppose to manage the glucose levels, both high and lows, but it is not effective in controlling the highs.

Comment from: Von, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 01

I have been taking Januvia along with Metformin for four months. My Blood Sugar is right on target, which it wasn't when taking only Metformin. But, since I've been taking Januvia I have chronic sinusitis, constant headaches, severe intestinal problems, occasional nausea and fatigue. Until reading the information here it never occured to me that it could be the medication.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: Tom, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 14

I had diabetes, type 2, for eight years. During this time I went from Glucotrol XL to insulin(110ml a day two shots, morning and night. I also take Avandia 5mg. My sugars always ran high 280s. No control. then my doctor said people have gotten great results with Januvia. I thought... we'll see! I have been on Januvia (100ml 1 a day mornings)for about 10 days and the results are astounding! I went from high 280s to 140s waking reading! I stopped the second shot and decreased the first significantly 35 ml due to hypoglycemia, so Insulin and Januvia are a very powerful combo. For the first time I am greatly optimistic that I can get off insulin with this wonder drug Januvia, and maybe one more bg lowering pill! No side effects yet! I'm feeling better overall because of the lower sugar levels, and control of this condition is now within reach! A change in diet(avoiding sugar)and more excercise(just walking) is doing wonders! I am actually looking forward to my next appointment, and getting off insulin! I love the way it works by helping your body make more insulin(for type 2s)and gets your liver to decrease sugar production making your body perform close to the way it should. It's a 1-2 punch that's doing the trick! Thanks Doc,WebMD and all of YOU reviewers for your comments and ideas! Your experiences are invaluable! That's why we read them! :)

Related Reading: Glucotrol XL | hypoglycemia | liver