Keppra User Reviews

Keppra - User Reviews

Keppra User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Keppra sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: EpilepsySux, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 23

I have partial seizures and have tried every medication on the market, all with bad results (until Keppra). Depakote caused me to get a life-threatening case of pancreatitis (so BE CAREFUL!); Lamictal caused bruising and migraines; Topamax & Tegretol didn't work; et cetera. Many of them made me lose/gain weight and lose hair. I thought all hope was lost until they put me on Keppra. I've not lost any hair; my appetite/weight is fine; the drowsiness has mostly worn off. I don't think it's caused much of a personality change--in fact, I feel better than I have in years, almost as good as I felt before I was diagnosed with epilepsy! I would advise anyone to try it, but as with ANY anti-epileptic drug, keep a journal, watch for side effects, and tell your doctor if you have side effects. ALL drugs cause side effects. You have to be your own advocate and decide with your doctor if the benefits outweigh the risks. In my case, Keppra has been WONDERFUL. I do wish it wasn't so expensive, though! It's like an extra car payment every month! I hope there is a plan to come up with a less expensive, generic version, or that healthcare in this country gets better... but I won't be holding my breath on that! :o) Good luck to everyone and let's hope for more research, better meds, and maybe even a cure!

Related Reading: Keppra | Depakote | pancreatitis

Comment from: stephmarie, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 19

since i have been on this medicine for the last 8 months i feel like a different person, everyone around me has noticed and has called me on it. my husband wants me to stop taking it. i was taking 500 then increased to 1000 then 2000, i took myself back to 500 because im going to see a different dr about it. all my current dr wants to do is give me xanax, that i will not take. MY SYMPTOMS MOODY, FATIGUED, ACHY JOINTS, BACK PAIN, VERY UNHAPPY. ALSO THIS MEDICINE IS EXCRETED THROUGH YOUR KIDNEYS. IT IS GOOD TO DRINK LOTS OF WATER OR SO IVE HEARD.my epilepsy is so mild i think taking this medicine is worse on me than not taking it, but im scared to stop it too suddenly. im slowly weaning myself off. if the dr doesnt want me to, but ive gotta do something. it is affecting my life.

Related Reading: xanax

Comment from: Kazichelle, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 25

My husband was put on this "drug" while in the hospital. He was prescribed Keppra because he was having brain seizures. Let me tell you. This drug should be taken off of the market according to the hospital. His personality changed so rapidly and violently that he had to be restrained in his hospital bed. He started having tremors of the arms and legs and physically assaulted me and one of the nurses on duty. He had hallucinations and tore the IV out of his arms because he thought that they were spiders crawling up his arms. All the medical staff said that it was because of the Keppra. His Neurologist said that all of his patients have reacted this way with Keppra. My question was why he used my husband as a test subject when knowing what this medication would and could do. Every single nurse and/or medical professional I have talked with about Keppra has said the same thing. Do Not Take It! He had no other medications that could have attributed to this reaction, so please if you do need to use this medication, use it with supervision and care. My husband is normally a very shy, quite loving individual and this medication turned him into a raving maniac.

Related Reading: tremors

Comment from: Librarian, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 24

I started taking this after years of mental fogginess with Dilantin and Tegratol. It took two weeks to switch meds and during that time I did not drive or do much. Once I got adjusted everything was so much better. I have been taking Keppra for over 3 years without a seizure and the mental fogginess is almost all gone. Of course some of that could be due to age!

Related Reading: Dilantin | seizure

Comment from: gizmo, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 04

Had a subdural hematoma (SBH); experienced about 2 seizures a day following surgery. Started taking keppra 500mg, 2x/day and seizures completely stopped about 10 days after taking the medicine. Took time for the drug to start working - was not immediate; my neurologist apparently did not know this as they wanted to increase my dose but my PCP did. Slept 12+ hrs a day first two weeks or so on keppra then after sleeping has gradually become normal. Had slight difficulties reading out load, memory issues and loss of patience (temper). Also had minor issues relating to physical cooridnation, physical (not mental) stamina and difficulty thinking/reasoning skills but maybe some of this is due to the SBH rather than the keppra. After 6 months was told they may try to gradually wean me off the drug as they do not want me to stop taking keppra cold-turkey. If I resume having seizures will return to the dose and try again in another 6 months. If this does not work I may need to take keppra for the rest of my life. Was told keppra is one of the best drugs for seizures but it is expensive (~$50/month). Overall my PCP believes keppra is good for me as the seizures are completely under control with no major issues. Whole experience has come by a surprise, very slow and challenging. Frustrated by some of the medical care. Do NOT be shy to get a 2nd opinion and switch to a dr you are comfortable with. Be sure you have an advocate to help you (spouse, sig other, family member, friend) as this was critical for me. Hope this has been helpful for others.

Related Reading: hematoma

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.