Lamictal User Reviews

Lamictal - User Reviews

Lamictal User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Lamictal sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: therei8@aol.com, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 25

i dont lie in my bed constantly, im not obsessed with thoughts of suicide. i dont stay up all hours of the night and sleep late and just want to stay in bed all the time. im not so angry and dont cry all the time anymore. i dont think caffeine is good for bipolar disorder, it makes me nervous and manic feeling in my head if i drink very much of it!!

Related Reading: suicide

Comment from: Me, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed Bipolar- II almost two years ago.Lamictal and Zoloft were the first drugs that were prescribed for me. I never felt right on the Zoloft or any SSRI or SNRI for that matter. I got up to the 300mg doses of lamictal and felt it had stopped being as effective as it was in the beginning. This took 1/2 year to poop out. I then started looking for alternatives as my Doc. at the time just wanted me to slowly increase lamictal, yet I felt I needed another med. Well, I went back to my first Doc. that diagnosed me, and tried different meds., but after reading a book called Bi-polar II, from the library I found that the gold standard, for Bi-polar is Lithium Carbonate ER. So I suggested this to my doc. and I have been taking it along with 150mg Lamictal for less than a week. I tell you, I have felt some calmness, and peace with the Lithium add-on already and look forward to more. She only started me at 300mg twice a day. We will do bloodwork soon to see if I need an increase for the theraputic level. I just wanted to pass this along to others, as lithium was the first med. available to treat bipolar and sometimes docs. go with the newer meds. that the drug companies produce. It may have side effects, check them out with your doc. So far though I have been excercising 30min. a day and cutting out gluten and sugars, eating more good carbs. and protein, no weight gain yet. I tell you the side effects may be so minimal for me that I don't feel anything but benefit for Lithium so far. I'll keep you posted. I am in therapy every two weeks,working part-time, and have a great marriage with two great teenage girls. It isn't easy to make it trough each day, sometimes I force myself to sit back and be thankful for what I do have and have managed to keep up with considering my mental health and lack of sleep, (getting better). Thank you for all of your messages on Web MD, I have read many.

Related Reading: Zoloft | mental health

Comment from: CaityCatherine, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 26

Lamictal saved my life. It was a miracle for me. I feel like I don't have mental health issues at all since I started on it a year ago. 150mg pills twice a day and I am healthy, happy, and stable. Just don't mix it with alcohol! It throws me into a mild depression for 2-3 days if I drink. Otherwise it is wonderful. I had gained 30 lbs on SSRIs. I went off of them and onto Lamictal and 4 months later the weight was off and I was back to normal without even dieting. This drug is wonderful.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: sistercate, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 20

I have my life back. I could leave it at that. But I would like to tell you HOW. I have been suffering with bipolar 2 for 6 years now. I literally thought I had become a crazy, worthless person. I couldn't remember conversations with co-workers and I think I was about to lose my job. My boss told me to see a psychiatrist. He is a good guy...I think that was going to be the last attempt for him to help me before firing me. I used to be a highly functioning person. I managed to graduate from college with a 3.2 GPA without going to class even 50% of the time. I loved physical activity and reading and music. 6 years ago everything changed. I was in a grad program and failed out. I was going to class and studying constantly but I was having major memory problems. Then I started having depression, then hypomanic episodes. I was just a complete mess. My psychiatrist put me on Lamictal slowly while slowly weaning me off of Lexapro. Now I am at 400mg daily and I feel wonderful. I am back to being a highly active, functioning person. I am me for the first time in 6 years. My husband is delighted--he only knew me AFTER the bipolar set in. He has loved me through all of this, but now he is just amazed at what a better person I have become. Still me, obviously, but without all of the drama. :-) Not every drug is right for everyone. Lamictal was just the one that was right for me. I am a success story. I am so happy to have my life back.

Related Reading: Lexapro

Comment from: Joey_H, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 16

I'm 63. I was diagnosed bipolar in 1991 with possible ad/hd, which was confirmed by a long test administered by an expert in the field. From 2001 on, having lost insurance with a divorce, I was forced to seek treatment at the VA! Not good!!! Having been treated by 6 doctors there, the only were treating the depression aspect of my disorder. I was unaware of this as most of these doctors were impatient and few could speak adequate English. Finally, I was declared disabled by SS and received my Medicare card July 1 of 09. I purchased an Advantage Plan from a private health insurance company to allow me great access to health care. $ months ago, I had my first session with a highly recommended private psychiatrist. I presented my medications for review. In less than 3 minutes, he declared: "You're not on any mood stabilizer." Imagine my surprise and displeasure. All those years, the flip-flopping of moods, all the different combination of medications, all the family, spousal dysfunction, with divorces and separations, all the hope that the next mediation would do it and last! The new doctor prescribed this drug. Literally, within a week, and only on the trial pack, I was a new man! I hadn't felt this good in years. Everything changed. I'm also taking Cymbalta for depression but at much lower dose. Gradually, he increased my dose of Lamictal,to 200mg. And though, my current wife is living somewhere in Indiana, and there since right after her accompanying me to the new doctor, I'm naturally feeling depression as there no contact with her and I love and care for her deeply and I believe she me, I'm managing to take care of things I could not manage before. I'm opening mail, paying bills, taking showers, doing some writing, more of less living a more 'normal' life. This medication has turned my life around! I pray that these results continue. I can't praise this drug more highly. After 4-5 months, still doing fine, in spite of living alone and missing my wife. A new me!!!!

Related Reading: Cymbalta

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.