Lamictal User Reviews

Lamictal - User Reviews

Lamictal User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Lamictal sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: ..., 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 25

I have a 13 year old daughter who has been diagnosed with mood disorder and possible bipolar disorder (along with many other things). She has been on so many meds in the last two years i can barely keep count. When she was started on Lamictal, she was taking buspar, abilify, klonapin, and other drugs for acid reflux and hypothyroidism. That is alot for a 13 year old to be on... 3 months after starting lamictal, she is down to just lamictal and her thyroid meds. she is happier, and healthier because of this med. I am so thankful for this medication. It has really helped my baby girl.

Related Reading: buspar | hypothyroidism

Comment from: risenone, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 21

This medication has been a God Send!! I was on Lithium but it really gave me bad gastrointestinal problems. I take 300mg a day of Lamictal and though the Dr still has some tweaking to do every now and then it is great. I do have the dry mouth bad, confusion, and alittle spacey but compared to the alternative this has changed my life. I am a cutter and that is almost nonexistenct now. The depression is so much better and my manic eposides are more under control. I was at the end of my rope. I had tried almost everything and nothing worked or it made me gain weight too bad. I don't have that problem with this drug. The trade off with the other side effects I do have are worth the benefit I receive from this drug by far.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 01

I started taking lamictal 8 weeks ago. I was diagnosed with depression and after trying several meds that caused bad side effects, Lamictal has been great. It took 6 weeks for the initial side effects such as itching, water retention, flush cheeks, etc. to go away, but after this period, the Lamictal kicked in and totally lifted the depression. at 150 mg,I am very happy with it. I have noticed a slight rash which looks pimples when upping the dose. It goes away in a few days with Cortizon cream and Benadryl. I have also noticed that I am more hungry than before but I have not gained weight. I did lose 30 lbs I gained on Zyprexa. As far a rash goes, everyone is so stressed about the SJS rash, but not all rashes that occure are serious. It is sad that so many people see a small rash and panic, going off the med. I received a terrible rash with Lyrica and still have the scars from that. All of these meds can cause rashes. Its best to let your doctor check it out but chances are that 99% of rashes are okay and will go away.

Related Reading: itching | Benadryl | Zyprexa

Comment from: Gingertail, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 17

This medication has changed my life dramatically. I had been on Zoloft and just about every other antidepressant but Lamictal has worked and continues to work. I never thought I'd be able to feel even the least bit happy but this medication has done just that. The depression is still there but nothing like it used to be. Thank goodness. If your current medication seems to have lost it's "magic" I strongly recommend discussing this medication with your doctor. It's done wonders for me and my family is very happy as well. Good luck

Comment from: crazy mom, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 05

Had major breakdown, 2nd one. Took Lamictal with Prozac. Initial side-effects: sleepiness, no energy, I could feel my head being different for the first couple of weeks, dosage was eventually at 300mg, and was accompanied by severe migraines that would last for days. Dr. felt that counseling would help. I still have headaches, but less frequent and less severe, definately able to deal with. My issues with bi-polar- impulsiveness, sexual mania, 30# wt. loss, suicidal thoughts, sleeplessness, along with major depression. after maybe 6 months or so, dosage felt right, I felt stable, not feeling so out of control. I HATE taking the meds every day. I was going to wean off once condition was in "remission". The two breakdowns each involved a suidide attempt and I have 6 kids. Not a risk I have decided to take. I have probably had earlier episodes, but was undiagnosed until severe breakdown. Breakdowns were majorly stress induced. Never thought I would go there again after first episode, but I did, approximately 8-9 years apart. I hope medication will keep disease and my health and safety safety. I am not at a therapeutic dose of 150mg with 60mg of Prozac. I have been feeling a little of the old sick self, so I may go back up. Everytime I change dose up or down I have sleep issues. Usually inability to sleep followed by sleeping for long periods. If I miss a dose I notice I have sleep issues, although only for a day or two. It takes alot of patience to get to dose that is right for you and finding the anti-depressant that may also be needed. This is a chemical imbalance...no different than high cholestrol, don't be deterred, not everyone has a respect for mental health. It may be what saves your life and give you a quality of life with your family. If not this med, then maybe another. Work with your Dr.

Related Reading: sexual

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.