Lariam User Reviews

Lariam - User Reviews

Lariam User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Lariam sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 01

This drug is awesome. I love drugs.

Comment from: ddcolorado, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 10

My son, 20, took Larium while volunteering in Africa for 2.5 months. He came back nervous, paranoid, unable to sleep, headaches, pressure in the head, diarrhea, halos in vision. Even now a year later he still has many symptoms. DO NOT take Larium.

Related Reading: sleep | diarrhea

Comment from: penelope, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 06

I took this for 6 months in Nigeria in 2006. Suffered panic attacks, insomnia,extreme anxiety, suicidal thoughts and depression. I had extreme fear of everything and thought everyone was out to get me. I felt desperate to leave Nigeria and shudder when I think about my time there. I would strongly advise people not to take this medication. The only warning my doctor gave me was that I might have bad dreams but it was much worse than that. I had no history of anxiety or depression and it took at least 3 months after I came back to the states to feel like a normal person again. In all fairness, culture shock may have had something to do with it-but I had traveled before to various countries and never experienced this kind of anxiety.

Related Reading: panic attacks | shock

Comment from: LRMinthesky, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 15

I last used this drug in 1997 on a trip to India to visit my family (I was 13 at the time). Fortunately, the medication prevented me from getting malaria. Unfortunately, it made me so psychologically miserable those three weeks I was there that I haven't been able to bring myself to visit my extended family there ever since. Not only did I have the depression and an extreme longing to return home to the States (one that I never had on prior trips), I was also sweating like a horse at normal ambient temperatures (this gets even worse when there's no air conditioning and the heat index is 130F!), and vomiting a LOT (the pills taste horrible and even if you can get one down, it wants to get back up ASAP!). Careful with this med, esp. w/kids. People say it's "tried and true" for 40+ years, but that doesn't mean it's fun. Just hearing the word "Lariam" makes me shudder these days.

Related Reading: malaria

Comment from: Jade, 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 19

I have been taking it for my voluntary trip to Africa and have taken it for some time now. I have had no problem with it - No dreams, mood changes or mental issues. Generally when you go to a doctor to get it prescribed to you, you go on a trial so they can observe any changes or you can feel any differences to your mood, physical features and mental features. They did that with me and I have been okay whilst using it. People try to scare you or warn you before taking it to prepare you for side effects but I have had no problem being a young, healthy 18-year-old. Just make sure you get the right Doctor to help you and talk you through it like they did for me.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 07

My wife & I took larium for 2 years on V.S.O. in Ethiopia and had no problems with it. V.S.O. said it had only been cleared for 6 months usage but knew of no problems for longer use.