Lexapro User Reviews

Lexapro - User Reviews

Lexapro User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Lexapro sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: don't suggest, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 04

The doctors don't tell you this, or maybe most of them don't know. I took Lexapro for a couple of years to deal with depression from a stressful job/condescending boss. It did work, but when I stopped taking it I started getting brain jolts, zaps in my mouth, dizziness, vertigo type feeling when I would move my eyeballs, spinning when I would move my eyeballs, and I also had headaches. It is very hard to explain the symptoms, but you know it when you are dealing with it. I was absolutely miserable. I didn't know what it was from and ended up at many doctor's offices thinking I had a brain tumor, multiple sclerosis, you name it. They gave me an MRI of my brain, lots of tests, you name it. Finally I did some of my own research on the internet and found that there a LOTS of other people that were going through the same thing. I just had to type in the right thing in google and there it was. There were so many people with the same problem, not only from Lexapro but other anti-depressants as well. You would think doctors would know!These horrible things finally went away after about 6 months of torture. I don't wish what I went through upon anybody. I guess if you are never planning on getting off the meds then you are ok, but if it's just a temporary thing then I would recondisder. The withdrawl symptoms are just too much. I was also suicidal during the withdrawl. It is out of my system now and I am clean of anything and feel much better. If only one person reads this and listens to me it will be worth it to save them from something like this.

Related Reading: Lexapro | depression | dizziness

Comment from: snoopmom, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 08

I was recently weened from Lexapro after being on it for a little over 3 years; I found it to be a wonder drug. In the past I tried Paxil and Prozac and did terrible on both. Lexapro basically saved my life. I do remember when I started the medicine I would have extremely vivid dreams at night that didn't make sense and it took a few months for that to subside. One downside of the medicine is that I gained a TREMENDOUS amount of weight; I'm only 5'1", used to always weigh around 115/118 lbs, and I ballooned up 144 lbs. The drug manufacturer doesn't state weight gain as a side effect, but everyone I know who has been on the medicine has stated the same thing. I religiously watched my diet and couldn't lose the weight; this is actually the reason I went off the medicine. I am in a much better place, both emotionally and mentally, than I was before starting Lexapro, but I found the weight gain to be something that made me more depressed and miserable.

Related Reading: Paxil | Prozac

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 19

DISCONTINUING LEXAPRO IS HELL. Most doctors do not warn patients about SSRI DISCONTINUATION SYNDROME, so please research this before deciding that Lexapro is right for you. Lexapro was fairly effective at easing my depression, but every time I missed a dose, I felt sick. Because of this, and the sexual side effects (complete inability to orgasm, no arousal during sex, no interest in sex), I decided to switch to Wellbutrin, and let me tell you, DISCONTINUING LEXAPRO IS HELL. PLEASE, please before taking Lexapro, look up SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome on Wikipedia. It has been over a month since I finally tapered off Lexapro, and I have felt sick the whole time. It's like having the flu every day but it doesn't go away, and the feeling of being "zapped" every few minutes is VERY disconcerting. I am only JUST starting to feel better, however I still get major headaches every day, I feel like I have a low-grade fever and my body still hurts most of the time. If you do take Lexapro, DO NOT QUIT COLD TURKEY. TAPER OFF VERY SLOWLY to lessen the very unpleasant effects of discontinuing it. My doctor had me taking 50mg/day, which sounds like a lot, but it took that much to be effective for me. But nobody warned me that I would have to take it the rest of my life or suffer the misery of discontinuing it. Lexapro can be a very effective medication, and the benefits of taking it can outweigh the problems it may cause, so do the research and make an educated decision based upon your personal needs. Keep in mind that WebMD is sponsored by pharmaceutical companies, so you probably won't find anything about SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome here unless you are reading what patients have submitted. Please research carefully and thoroughly so that you understand exactly what you are getting into if you do decide to take Lexapro.

Related Reading: sexual | Wellbutrin | flu

Comment from: vinson, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 26

i was able to join the land of humans again

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 22

It has really helped me. I have been on paxil and zoloft. Lexapro works really well for me. I have noticed a decrease in memory for small activities. Overall, it has really helped me cope with my life and depression.

Related Reading: zoloft