Lexapro User Reviews

Lexapro - User Reviews

Lexapro User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Lexapro sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 20

I was so anxious, I couldn't even leave the house. It was terrible. Lexapro changed EVERYTHING for the better.

Comment from: drtobe, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 16

I've been on Lexapro for a year and have been very pleased with the results. Take it for depression/anxiety combo. Started out on Lorazepam for anxiety attacks, but quickly realized I needed a daily medication. Had used Xanax for a short period a few years ago, but I like the Lexapro because it isn't habit forming (I'm sure there are withdrawal symptoms, but it isn't addictive). Started at 10mg, which worked fine until I was laid-off earlier this year, so I switched to 20mg. Doing fine on 20mg and plan to stay. Lexapro has made a huge difference in my life - I used to have trouble sleeping, was disinterested in life in general, often wondered what the point of living was, and would constantly worry about EVERYTHING. I felt improvement of my depression within 1 week of receiving the prescription. A word on side effects: I too felt EXTREME fatigue, nausea, terrible headaches, and lack of appetite in the first couple of days. I was taking it in the morning before going to work and I honestly felt AWFUL within an hour of taking it - but the depression was getting better so I hung in there with the medication, figuring the side effects would go away once my body adjusted to the medication. I also switched to taking the medication at night right before I went to bed instead of in the morning, so any side effects would occur while I was sleeping and I didn't feel them as much. Thankfully making that switch did the trick and as far as I know the side effect went away after the first week or so. Give it time if you're just starting or thinking about starting.

Related Reading: anxiety | Xanax | fatigue

Comment from: CLL, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 10

This website has been SO valuable during my frustration with different medications. You need to read over ALL the reviews and rule out a few that don't seem to jive with all the others. There's always a few out there who are dissatisfied. That doesn't mean those same things will happen to you. Do your research and remember, everyone is different and react to drugs differently. Don't be scared the first time you see a reviewer mention weight gain or decreased libido. It's more important that you get to feeling better and you can deal with those things later. I've had depression for 30 years and Prozac 20mg worked for me up until I hit 50. Perhaps it was because I'm pre-menopausal or because I'd taken the same drug, at the same dose for so many years. I went to the doctor and tried several other drugs. At first, I wasn't satisfied with any of them, so I got on Effexor XR. Wow! Please read about the withdrawl symptoms when going off of Effexor, because they are severe. Try all the other meds first. Something will work for you. Bottom line, I'm going back on Lexapro. I don't think I gave it enough of a chance and it was working pretty well for me. Be patient and don't try to change meds or get off of something without a doctor's advice. Been there, done that, and it was terrible. I believe that Lexapro is a wonderful drug. It is sure the best I've tried so far. I believe our bodies get used to something and it finally stops working. That's what happened to me with Prozac, although it was my wonder drug for 20+ years. I'm going to ask my doctor if perhaps I should rotate between Lexapro and Prozac every few years. That may be the answer for me. DON'T GIVE UP. Antidepressants will help you get your life back, but you have to be patient. Also exercise, eat right, and talk to someone who cares. God bless you all and best wishes in your recovery. There is light at the end of the tunnel, I promise.

Related Reading: Effexor XR | Effexor | Antidepressants

Comment from: takeatnight, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 17

Comment: Lexapro has saved my life. I was prescribed the drug for severe anxiety and mild depression. The first time I was on it, I took it for about 3 months in the morning and I had the sexual side effects, loss of libido and I could not have an orgasm to save my life!! I stopped taking it because I could not handle the sexual side effects. Then when my doctor prescribed it again he told me that it should ALWAYS be taken at night!!! It helps with the drowsiness, which was my 1st problem because I felt like a zombie in the morning when I took it. So when I started taking it at night, I noticed that I STARTED TO HAVE ORGASMS RIGHT AWAY!! Now I take it before bed every night, and I have orgasms all the time! I want everyone to know to talk to your doctor about taking Lexapro at night!! The side effects are non-existent! It saved my life, TAKE IT AT NIGHT!!

Amazing. This drug saved my life.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 19

As long as I take the medication regularly and do not miss a dose I feel little to no life-effecting anxiety. If I miss a dose, I am a wreck!