Lexapro User Reviews

Lexapro - User Reviews

Lexapro User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Lexapro sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 08

This medicine should ALWAYS be taken at night. I have been on it for 6 years. My doctor diagnosed me with a seratonin deficiency. She suggested that I take 1/2 a pill for the first week as it could cause nausea. That worked for me. I never have had sexual side effects either and I think it's because I take it at night. 10mg dose made me tired all the time, so I asked my doctor if I could just take 1/2 a pill. It controls my depression and I am not tired from it. The one thing I do notice is that I am not as motivated to do things as I used to be. I don't know if it's my age or the pills. All I know is I used to cry about everything and now I'm a much happier, easy-going person. It's a great medicine.

Comment from: angel34, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 06

the withdrawl symptoms are worse then death. dizziness, nausea, forgetfullness, crying, weakness, muscle aches all over, weight gain, brain zaps, shakes, confussion, nightmares, insomnia. while on the meds , it worked well, its the getting off whats horrifing,i was on it for 1 1/2yrs. To get off the meds i went from 20mg, down every 2 weeks, 15. 10, 5, then nothing. im off for 5 days now, i think im gona die, i hope this goes away, i read it could take up to 90days. im so scared.

Related Reading: nightmares | insomnia

Comment from: Mello, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 05

The first week of lexapro was the hardest due to the side effects of nausea and dizziness. But the results were immediate. I have been taking it a few years now, and I have taken dosages from 10mg to 40mg. I am back down to 20mg a day and holding. I have gained weight while taking it. I have come off lexapro twice for about a month each time only to recognize that life is better with it. My doctor switched me to prozac in the beginning, but I quickly knew that wasn't a good fit, and he put me back on lexapro with a dose increase. Life has been great after that. To those who say that lexapro caused personality changes, I would say keep trying other meds. I had that reaction to prozac. Everyone's system is slightly different and will respond to a different med. Keep trying meds until you can look back and say, yeah, life is definitely better with ---. For me, life is better with lexapro.

Comment from: sskolnick, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 16

I have been on Lexapro 10mg for a while now (couple years - and been on it before that). I am trying to wean off of it because of excessive weight gain. I have been taking Wellbutrin XL 300mg now for a while and love it....but I am still taking the lexapro every other day or so with it...to maintain...each time I try to stop the lexapro (like this week, I tried not taking it for 3 days) I go NUTS! EVERYTHING irritates me and I just want to scream at the top of my lungs or hit something?! I can't take it! So of course I took another lexapro this morning....But I really want to stop using it. I gained so much weight on it and don't want to continue. My husband tells me I'm fat and that I should stop using it and just exercise, but I don't think I can handle the irritability I get from stopping it....Any suggestions from anyone??? HELP!

Related Reading: Wellbutrin XL

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 10

I have been taking Lexapro for about 5 weeks. Overall, I would say that it has definitely helped me with depression. The main reason I am writing this is that I experienced strong anxiety, bordering on panic attacks, for the first couple of days that I was taking the drug. My doctor was skeptical that this was possible so quickly - one of the main reasons he prescribed Lexapro specifically was due to the relatively low incidence of major side effects. I just want to make sure that anyone else who experiences a similar reaction initially knows that it is not just them. The major anxiety went away for me after a couple of days. I have had some degree of a lot of the side effects listed (dry mouth, stomach issues, some decrease in sex drive, etc.) but they have dissipated over time. With Lexapro, counseling, and some changes that I made in my life, I have been able to go from being pretty depressed most of the time (to the degree of having borderline suicidal thoughts) to feeling fairly close to normal. So just some encouragement that though some people may have more difficulty getting started on the drug than they are led to expect, it has been worth it in my experience.

Related Reading: panic attacks | dry mouth

Comment from: mom511, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 19

Lexapro is wonderful, however the pharmacy gave me the new generic and I did give it a try. It was horrible, I didnt know what to do with myself I was feeling horrible, sick, and just felt like I wanted to run and out of sorts. I was given brand Lexapro back and now I am back to feeling better. The generic does not work!

Comment from: Wantagh Wife, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 07

I was on this for about 3 1/2 months. Wonderful at first!, I was way more easy-going. got along better with my husband, no longer got upset over all the little things or brooding over bullshit. The BEST part was I was no longer screaming at my 6 and 4 yr old kids(still hate myself about that), i stopped losing my temper over nothing, slowed down to enjoy them and stop demanding perfection and precision from my children. Then I also stopped having orgasms and no longer wanted sex at all really. Still loved the intimacy but could care less about intercourse. My husband said,"oh, come on, its a small price to pay to be happier" (he wanted me to continue)"your so much easier to get along with, its been great!" Yeah great for him, but it sucked for me to have my head in the clouds yet dead from the waist down at 40. I dont know I still wrestle with going back on to be a better mom, thats my real only goal. Yet my marriage was like living with a buddy cute, but NO interest in sex. Husband complained I was so "asexual, its sad" yet pushed me to stay on drug anyway to be "happier" Im disapointed it didnt seem a fair trade off, im too young to not want to feel sexual, but my kids are growing fast and I dont want them to only remember an uptight mean mommy. Still contemplating going back on. BTW had no bad side effects going off, I tapered well.