Lipitor User Reviews

Lipitor - User Reviews

Lipitor User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Lipitor sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Gimpy, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 29

I started taking Lipitor about 5 years ago. It lowered my cholesterol from 260 to 156. I don't eat any red meat or pork, occasionally have chicken. This is primarily a genetic issue not diet/nutrition. I usually eat mediterranean-type food (veggies & pasta) and am 5' 9", weigh 162lbs. Both my father & grandfather had high cholesterol. I was not aware of any side effects but started experiencing foot pain/numbness a year & a half ago. I have two herniated disks (L3 & L4), which I associated with the numbness. My orthopedic surgeon diagnosed the problem as neuromas and recommended foot orthotic devices for my shoes, physical therapy/exercise & icing. I did not get any relief, although I followed the protocol religiously for months. After greater pain symptoms developed on the bottom of both my feet (extreme soreness, burning sensation to include around the toes, large area of numbness around both balls of my feet & heel pain), I started getting sore shins, cramping and sharp pains in both calf muscles. I went to my internist, who sent me to a neurologist for testing. I went to a muscle specialist, who performed an EMG test, and determined that my peripheral neuropathy was caused by the Lipitor. He advised that I stop taking the Lipitor immediately & stop the icing because it could cause additional nerve damage. I stopped taking Lipitor about 2 months ago along with the icing treatments. The leg symptoms have cleared up completely. However, my feet are slowly getting better but I am still experiencing chronic pain/numbness & burning sensation, even around the toes. Simply walking around the house with socks on (carpeted floors) causes soreness & pain. Although the Lipitor dramatically lowered my cholesterol, this debilitating side effect was not clearly identified by the warnings (muscle soreness?). I am hoping that I do not have permanent nerve damage and that the condition will continue to improve. I will provide more info in 6 months.

Comment from: jr, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 30

This medicine effectively lowered cholesterol, however,I would fall asleep anywhere, even after a full night's rest. My back and legs hurt so badly that I could not walk after sitting for a time. I stopped taking this drup after a blood test showed increased liver enzyme level. WILL NOT TAKE AGAIN. Still have some muscle pain in my legs.

Related Reading: muscle pain

Comment from: finelto, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: June 09

OMG Thank you all for posting. After at least 6 years of taking 20mg, I initially had no problems. On occasion, my hands would fall asleep especially upon awaking; tingling and paralyzing severe leg/foot cramps, every so often. Last summer when playing tennis I noticed muscle weakness. After a long walk I experienced hip and leg pain for many weekes afterwards. A couple of months ago I developed severe leg and thigh cramping every night and am living on pain killers and sleeping pills. Had extensive blood work and all other tests: bone density, cardio sonograms, circulatory tests etc. arthritis panels all came back negative. Doctor did not want me to go off the drug, as my condition is hereditary. I took myself off Lipitor about two weeks ago, and am very very slowly feeling better. Have an appt with my Dr next week and he will probably send me to a neurologist. I would wager that this is from the pill. Extensive statin use can cause myopathy, neuropathy, fibromyalgia, etc. I will not go on another statin. I will ask for an alternative. I have done many hours of research and read so many posts and articles. I will not take Lipitor again. I have read it may take many months to clear. I pray the nerve/muscle damage is reversible!

Related Reading: arthritis | fibromyalgia

Comment from: ED, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 24

On Lipitor for 7 months. Started getting sore muscles in legs and back the last 3 months. Got so bad I can hardly walk. Doctor took me off Liptor 3 weeks ago. He said it should take about a week and I should be better. I am no better!! After reading all these coments, I now know it is going to take a lot longer for me to get better. Started taking 200mg of C-Q 10 daily

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 17

I took Lipitor for 4 days and immediately developed symptoms of jaundice (yellow eyes, dark urine, white stools, uncontrollable itching). I had blood tests and an ultrasound of my liver. My liver was inflamed, but fortunately not permanently damaged. It took almost two weeks without taking Lipitor for the symptoms to reverse. This can be a very dangerous drug for some people.

Related Reading: jaundice | itching

Comment from: gg, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 03

was very active, now don't want to do anything. Very tired all the time. The worse thing is the muscle pain & frequent headaches. Today I decided to stop taking it and see what happens.

Cholesterol Management

Tips to keep it under control.