Lipitor User Reviews

Lipitor - User Reviews

Lipitor User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Lipitor sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Cheryl A 1950, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 14

I have taken Lipitor for over 12 years and I do have my cholesterol under control;however, In the last month or so I have been experiencing miserable leg and knee pain to the point that I have a very difficult time walking. I fall because my knees give out and my hands and my wrists droop because I can't seem to keep them straight so I drop hot coffee etcetera onto the floor or myself. I have never had ANY problems like this in my life! These symptoms seemed to come on over night. I was shocked to read all of the statements from other users who are experiencing the same thing. I have taken myself off this drug and I have an appointment to consult with my doctor about alternative treatments. I only hope that the fatigue and pain will lessen as the months go by. I have concerns that I might be stuck with this. How infuriating!

Related Reading: knee pain

Comment from: G, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 02

I have hereditary high cholestorol. I am 48 yrs, 105 lbs and watch my diet, excercise etc... but to no avail. Was precribed 10mg/daily since last April. Recently experienced a fluttering in my ear, tingling in the hands/feet and bouts of confusion witnessed by co-workers, dry mouth, chronic fatigue, muscle cramps etc... etc... A week ago my Dr ordered an MRI for the following week and even suggested pre-mature dementia but the following day I was admitted to the ER with high fever, high blood pressure, heart palputations in addition to the other symptoms mentioned. They suspected stroke, menangitis, lymes desease etc... (all negative.) Extensive blood work, Cat Scan, MRI remains in-conclusive as to a diagnosis. No one ever considered the Lipitor. On a follow-up to my Dr after discharge I mentioned it and while he didn't consider it, he agreed to take me off the med for now. I have an EEG tomorrow and a follow-up MRI pending. I am very encouraged to have discovered these postings that lead me to believe that perhaps without the Lipitor in my system I will soon return to a sense of well being. I am thankful to all who shared their experiences.

Related Reading: dry mouth | muscle cramps | dementia

Comment from: KBlossom205, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 05

My doctor recommended trying Lipitor, because although I exercise regularly (4 days a week - 1 hour) and eat a healthy balanced diet, my LDL (bad) was elevated (140). I do not have high blood pressure or any other health issues. I tried Lipitor for approx. 90 days. After the first week, and my body adjusted to the medication, I felt fine. I was taking 10 mg per day and after 30 days, my LDL went form 140 to 97. So the medication definitely worked. But I gradually began having joint and muscle aches and pains all over my body. I was always tired. I am a very busy and active person and so I continued to push myself, but around 90 days later it occurred to me that something was not right. I discontinued the medication and within two weeks, I was totally back to normal; no more joint or muscle pain and return of energy. Because of my reactions to Lipitor, my doctor has recommended using Flax Seed Oil Capsules 1000mg, 2 times a day.

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 26

I took this medication for about 4-5 months. My muscles hurt so bad, it felt like they were going to explode. I called my doctor and told her I was not taking it any longer. She put me on Zetia, and the pain in muscles went away. Some people cannot take statin drugs such as lipitor. Watch the symptoms, I thought it was arthritis for long time, pain was awful and I slept a lot.

Related Reading: Zetia

Comment from: jeanne, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 23

I took Lipitor for about 10 days. Suddenly couldn't walk up stairs without crawling due to such leg pain. Dr did not tell me that eating grapefruit/juice exacerbates side effects, and that taking CoQ10 was essential to help eliminate the side effects. I had to find this out myself...then stopped taking the drug immediately, and pain went away. I subsequently found out about chelation therapy which I did and after one year reduced the 65% stenosis in my carotid arteries to "no significant plaque" on my recent sonogram and CT Scan. My doctors are shocked and don't want to believe my results! One has to become one's own health advocate and not let the MDs dictate everything. Use "alternative medicine" to keep healthy. For cholesterol lowering I'm taking red yeast rice along with CoQ10 daily, among other vitamins & minerals. I feel great!

Related Reading: vitamins

Comment from: Marilyn, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 17

I thought the fibromyalgia I've had for 40 years was worsening/changing. I decided to not take the Lipitor anymore when more than one friend said it was affecting their legs. I don't know how their legs were affected, but my legs turned to jello. I could hardly walk and was falling a lot. My legs wouldn't hold me up.

Cholesterol Management

Tips to keep it under control.