Macrobid User Reviews

Macrobid - User Reviews

Macrobid User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Macrobid sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: emjay78, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 07

After presenting with bacteria in my urine, low abdominal pain and tenderness around the left kidney, I was prescribed a 1-week course of this drug. I have now been on it for two days (100mg twice daily.) My UTI symptoms have greatly improved, but I'm experiencing extreme fatigue, mild vertigo and some light sensitivity. That being said, the pain from the UTI was far worse, so I'll deal with the side effects until I'm sure the infection is gone.

Related Reading: abdominal pain | vertigo

Comment from: shank, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 18

I was given this for two days/twice daily after a procedure at my OB/GYN to prevent a bacterial infection. I took the first pill and was okay. After the second pill I was convinced I had the flu or they had accidentally prescribe a sulfa product which I am allergic to. I had to leave my daughter's softball game. I came home nauseated, with a migraine-like headache, and my hips and knees ached. My legs were weak and I was cramping in my calves. I am glad I was able to read these posts after my husband suggested I might be allergic to this product, so I could stop the product and let my doctor know my symptoms. It sounds like the people who took it longer had some pretty severe side-effects and reactions.

Related Reading: migraine

Comment from: Mancy57, on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 13

I took this for simple uti - thought I was going to die - fever and chills..the nightmares, and hallucinations, next day broke out in rash - terrible muscle weakness, swelling, stiffness in neck = never again...

Related Reading: nightmares | rash

Comment from: az10, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 01

I am allergic to sulfa and Cipro (and other antibiotics in that family) causes severe anxiety problems for me, so my doctor prescribed Macrobid for my UTI this time around. Since I started the dosing, my UTI symptoms are gone, and for the first time in recent memory, an antibiotic hasn't caused terrible side effects. I'm sorry to see that so many people have experienced side effects, but I must note that all antibiotics work differently for different people -- why on earth people continue to take Macrobid after experiencing the very side effects that were listed in the documentation provided by my pharmacy is beyond me.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: karategirl, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 24

I had a very bad UTI which caused blood in my urine.Dr. said UTI could have been from onset of Menopause. Took this drug and it cleared it up within a week perfectly and without 1 side effect. I did eat yogurt to prevent yeast infection. I would highly recommend this medication for UTI's.PS: I am highly sensitive to all med's except Advil.

Related Reading: Menopause | yeast infection

Comment from: Geena314, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 16

I usually have to take just one pill if I feel it coming on, and then its gone pretty quick. I am going through menopause and I seem to get uti's frequently, almost everytime after my husband and I have intercourse. Yuk..makes me afraid to have sex sometimes and that is horrible. Anyway, if I take it more than two days, one pill a day, 100mg each, I get the same reaction I did with Cipro, which is why I stopped taking Cipro. I get a horrible nervy pain in my skin. Starts on the outside of my vagina, then moves to the bottom of my thighs, up my thighs to my butt. It hurts to wipe myself and sit on the toilet. It lasts for about 2 days. Its just weird. Does anyone know if cipro and macrbid,(i take the generic of both drugs) are in the same class of medicines and has anyone heard of this before? otherwise I have no other side effects. Does anyone know of any antibiotics for UTI that have no side effects or just mild ones? what does everyone use for uti's? I am at a loss.. cant take leviquin either it makes me feel funny like I am so drugged. please help and let me know what you all take that is mild and doesnt have alot of side effects.Thank you

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 16

Will NEVER try this medication again. Returned to doctor 5th day of treatment as I thought I was going to die. On evening of 4th day of treatment I started with breathing problems, nausea, stomach pain, acid reflux, tingling/numbness of hands & feet, fever, chills, all over aches (flu like symptoms), nausea, and severe abdominal pain. Doc felt is was not the medication but instead a virus and asked that I continue the final three doses. MY MISTAKE. Took final dose last night and now have itchy rash head to toe! On doing research on the drug this morning, it is clear to me that I am having a severe allergic reaction to this medication. Guess I'm going today for medical evaluation. Would never recommend use of the drug to anyone.