Macrodantin User Reviews

Macrodantin - User Reviews

Macrodantin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Macrodantin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: jhahn, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 02

I had a very bad reaction to this drug. It made me very ill, kidney pain, nausea, severe flu like symptoms (chills/fever) after 4 capsules. My physcian had me stop taking it. I took it for only 1 and a 1/2 days.

Related Reading: flu | fever

Comment from: Rachel, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 23

This medication was presribed to me "to be taken as required with food" as required ment after intercourse. I took about 5 tablets over a month with no problem, a couple of weeks ago I took one and about 8 hours later came down with an awful fever and my body was aching all over. I slept if off and in the morning I was better but had a very mild rash across my chest. A few days ago I took another one this time a fever came on about 5-6 hours later, I was feeling dizzy, my body was aching all over, I was nauseated and finally I vomited violently. I spent the whole next day in bed with fever/chills and my body aching. I am finally better today. I felt like I had been poisoned after taking this medication, please be very cautious when taking it.

Related Reading: rash

Comment from: Bobjan, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 05

Wife took drug for 1 1/2 years. Was not warned about sides affects by urolgist. Now dying in ICU. Total lung lost.Life support. STOP TAKING or STARTING Nov 5 2010

Comment from: JV1053, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 16

Six years ago I used this drug and now do not have a colon. I have been through a horrible ordeal and it has changed my life forever. I am sure that this drug is fine for some people, however I do not believe that it is worth the risk that go along with it. I developed pseudomembranous colitis, which is uncurable and in my case resulted in the removal of my colon. I suggest not taking this drug. And if you do I suggest taking a probiotic while you are on the medication.

Related Reading: colitis

Comment from: lec, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 20

I have been researching another medication and now I am scared spitless to take it (fosamax). Just to compare the process of reviews and how it could help me, I checked macrodantin, a med I have taken daily for over 20 years. My experience has only been positive. One pill daily has prevented the near-constant UTI's I have had since I became sexually active at age 20. My doctors, through the years, tried all kinds of different treatments - taking a certain med only when I had sex, drinking cranberry juice (old school), etc. Finally, at least 20 years ago, my obgyn put me on generic macrodantin and I have been virtually UTI free for all these years. I have had no side effects. Though, I have had knee replacement and hip replacement, I have no idea if they are related.??? I chalk that up to arthritis. If I were stranded on a desert island, I would want this medicine with me. I don't know if my experience is typical or not, just know it's been a good fit for me.

Related Reading: fosamax | macrodantin | arthritis

Comment from: Hurricane103, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 26

2/3/2000 I was involved in an accident leaving me a T-8 complete paraplgic. In rehab I was taught to eleaviate the urin in my bladder by self catherization. Unfortunately I was prone to urinary trct infections. My Urologist put me on a daily dose of 50mg of Macrodantin. After 8 years I switched Urologists and was told I should have been taken off the Macrodantin the first year. I asked why and was told it can cause scarring of the lungs. I made an appointment with my primary Doctor for lung tests. We found my lung capacity was 50% less than 5 years prior. A CT of my lungs also showed scarring.

Comment from: massage therapist , 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 07

I had terrible flu like symptoms, projectile vomiting, and a severe hives. The worst kidney and abdominal pain. I will never reccomend this drug to any one.

Related Reading: hives | abdominal pain