Macrodantin User Reviews

Macrodantin - User Reviews

Macrodantin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Macrodantin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: bobjan, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: December 10

Follow up to 11/05/2010 Wife let go 11/14/2010. Death Certificate says nitrofurantoin tox likely caused death. Autopsy left no doubt Either nitrofur or nobody knows. I know. That is Macrodantin pure evil.Tell all. I do.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 10

My mom was on this drug for 6 months, she then got very ill and has had to have 2 liver transplants in the last two months. Her liver failed due to this drug. Please don't take this drug!!!

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: sf, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 12

My mother ended up in the hospital and is still there with all of the side effects listed for this medication. She has been taking it for 5 months. She will never take it again. We are still waiting for test results from fluid drawn from her lungs. Hopefully it has not damaged other organs. Her doctor said this drug caused everything.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 26

I am taking a low dose for aprox. 2 mo's. and am having muscle cramps in the lower right leg & foot on a daily basis. Don't know of any other reason, so am discontinuing them.

Related Reading: muscle cramps

Comment from: Betty Jo, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 04

I am taking Macrodantin for prevention of Urniary Tract infection. I have severe pain in my stomach. I am sick to my stomach, and feel as if I am going to vomit. Problems with my vision. My nervous system is impaired. I have pain in my head,and legs,etc. I am having elimination problems and loose stool. I feel sick all over. This antibiotic has devistated my system. My sister is typing this for me. BettyJo

Related Reading: prevention

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: October 05

My mother has been on Macrodantin for 8 months. After one month, I noticed a rash on her legs. Her doctor prescribed a (.05%)fluocinonide cream which didn't help. Now she has developed a secondary fungal infection on her legs, arms, and is now a few spots on her chest. I keep on telling the doctor's that she's having an allergic reaction to this drug (macrodantin). They all tell me no. So I went online and one of the side effects is a rash. I want my mother off of this drug immediately before it effects her vital organs.

Comment from: Patti M, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 20

I am sitting here and can't believe what I have just read. I now have something similar to pneumonia brought on by consuming macro dantin for 1 1/2 yrs also. I can barely breath, talk or have any energy. The woman dying in ICU is so sad. I am almost there myself. I have a gall bladder stone operation scheduled for Monday and my lungs aren't really ready. I have 88% oxygen and must exercise them. I guess the pneumonia like systems are worse than the real thing. It's a glue like substance that's in my lungs. I was hospitalized for 3 days this week and the ER doctor figured it out. The pulmonary doctor and surgeon all agreed. Why isn't this documented? And, why did my "wonderful" urologists not warn me of this? My family and I are stunned. I could be that woman dying in the ICU. I sound awful and my breathing is labored. Is it because I drink so much water that I am not at the point of dying like this woman? My mother said I should participate in a "class action suit". I totally agree. I was not warned and I should have been taken off this drug and perhaps put on another one for my recurring UTI's and bladder operations. I also have osteo arthritis - got to wonder if this was aggravated by this drug as well. I am in a lot of arthritis pain and now on Naproxen 1000 mg a day. I wish I didn't have to take any pills .

Related Reading: pneumonia

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 21

I had taken Macrodantin because I was having a cystoscopy. I took 1 pill one hour prior to the cystoscopy (9am) and 1 pill 12 hours later (10pm). At 6 pm that evening I started to have joint pain in my knees and ankles. As the night moved along it got worse and the joint pain was traveling up to my back and shoulders. I thought I was coming down with the flu. I took some tylenol to try to relieve the symptoms but the pain was getting worse. I had not been able to sleep either because of the pain and the chills . At 12:30 the diarreha started. Then severe chills, fever and vomitting. My husband placed a call to the urologist that performed the cystoscopy and was told to get to the ER. I vomitted several times in the car enroute and while in the ER. I had severe pain in my body and was shaking uncontrollably and the fever was climbing. In the ER my stats showed my blood pressure has decreased to an unacceptable number (50) and my heart rate was way too high. I received morphine and a drug to stop the vomitting. I was told I was having a severe allergic reaction to the macrodantin. The ER admitted me as a patient and I spent several days in the hospital. I don't know how this drug has remained on the market and how often it is prescribed. I hope others can learn from this including doctors.

Related Reading: tylenol | sleep