Malarone User Reviews

Malarone - User Reviews

Malarone User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Malarone sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Majida Mouasher, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 10

I caught malaria in Nigeria, even though I was taking one pill of malarone a day for prevention.

Related Reading: malaria | malarone | prevention

Comment from: how odd, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 09

At the recommendation of my travel medicine doctor I took Malarone for 2 weeks at the end of 2010 while in Laos. Even though I found the drug easy to take and didn't experience any of the more severe side effects, I did feel a bit vague and dizzy at times (kinda like having a bad hangover, even though I wasn't drinking). Nothing too unmanageable, more of an annoyance really. However, since coming off the drug, it's kind of difficult to explain but I feel less sharp and like my memory (both short and long term) is foggy. I'd definitely say I've experienced memory loss, sometimes I find it difficult to concentrate on what's going on around me and occasionally it takes me a few seconds to retrieve from my memory a word I want to use. I can't say for 100% that this is caused by the Malarone but I'm only in my mid-thirties so it shouldn't be age related. It's nothing serious, I just feel a bit vague. Anyway I'm only sharing this as a caution to others or as information in case anyone else who's taken this drug feels the same way. **Note: I rated this drug "Effective" because I didn't get malaria while on it but my travel companion did not take any anti-malaria meds and he didn't get it either. Obviously, if I could do it over and considering the way I feel now, I wouldn't bother taking the drug.

Related Reading: travel medicine

Comment from: Sosa56, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 15

I opted to have Malarone as my prophylaxis for a three-month trip around Indochina (Thailand, Cambodia etc.) in late 2008. Took one pill daily as prescribed and didn't observe any pronounced side-effects although did experience some symptoms (light-headedness, depersonalization, nausea and stomach ache) which I am now recognizing, retrospectively, as having possibly been caused by the drug. Soon after I came back from travelling and discontinued the pills I noticed that my memory and mental clarity were reduced. This has persisted for the past year. My doctor says its anxiety, but after having read other reports of this type of 'brain fog' associated with Malrone on here I'm beginning to wonder. Cannot find any information on cognitive side effects or persistent side effects in long-term users but I'd be interested to hear if more people have experienced this problem. Email me on sosa56@hotmail.co.uk

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 15

This medication is poison. It was very slowly killing me. I had my first side effects about 3 days after taking it. Rash on my feet and knees. Anxiety, touble sleeping, shallow breathing, tingling & numbness in my legs and arms and vivid crazy dreams. I was on a 2 wk and continued to stop and start the drug because of the severe side effects. I got home and was taking it for 4 days and by then was bed ridden and felt as though I was getting the flu or malaria. My bones were aching from the inside out. I felt like I had the worst flu of my life but yet had no symptoms of cough or fever... I experienced some serious memory loss as well. I felt unfamiliar in places that I should have known where I was. I felt as though I lost a serious part of my memory or something was very delayed. All in all, did not feel good or right. I will never ever take this drug again. I hope other people will realize the side effects and stop before you are having too many problems. Also on my drug description it says that if you get malaria you only have to take this drug for 3 days... So what are we doing here.???

Related Reading: Rash | flu | cough

Comment from: sanntulberg@aol.com, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 11

I had previously taken Malarone when traveling to areas with Malaria. This time I had 21 pills and on the 17th day, I broke out in a flaming rash 3" wide around my waist, it soon descended to the panty area and later in the day in the bra area. A local physician advised me to quit taking the drug, but I had already taken the drug for the day. He said the itching rash would go away in a week. The next day after my bottom lip started swelling I went to the emergency room and was given a shot of something powerful + 4 pills and a prescription Ranittidine Hydrochloride 150 mg tablets, twice daily for 30 days and Predisone 20 mg twice daily for 5 days. Today I am on my 4th day and still feel horrible (disoriented and tired out) but the rash has declined and has almost gone.

Related Reading: itching