Malarone User Reviews

Malarone - User Reviews

Malarone User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Malarone sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: shaz_airboy, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 02

I have traveled to Uganda, Africa seven times in the past four years and have taken Malarone on each of those trips. I start two days before I leave (per my doctor) and continue for seven days after I return, taking the tablet with breakfast each morning. My normal series is about eighteen tablets in all. I have not contracted malaria and have not had the side effects the other reviewers have noted. While I have had some pretty wild dreams, I have not had memory loss or issues with cognitive thinking. All in all, Malarone has performed wonderfully for me and I plan on taking it on my next trip to Uganda later this year. I am taking my young daughter along on this trip and plan on using the children's dose of Malarone for her. If we have any issues or side effects, I will update this post. Happy and safe traveling!

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 23

In the Rift Valley region of Kenya where my family recently traveled, two took Malarone, two took nothing....all four of us were clinically diagnosed with malaria 2-4 times...person 1 on malarone...3 times in Kenya and a relapse in America. person 2 on malarone 2 rounds in Kenya. Person 3 no prophylaxis 3 rounds in Kenya one on return. Person 4 no malarone 2 rounds in Kenya 0 at home. Med seems to have no effect on malaria in the area we were staying...and no reduction in severity of symptoms

Comment from: charity, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 31

I have traveled to Africa and Haiti with Malarone, and am leaving for Haiti once again in 1 week...and am planning to use it this trip as well. I have experienced no side effects, and think that this is the best anti-malarial out there.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 07

I went to India. I was lucky.I have had no problems with this medication. I always eat my breakfast first before taking this med. Today will be my last required dose. I have no symptoms of malaria.

Comment from: uavgreg, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 09

I have taken Malarone before with no side effects. I have been on the medication for 30 days now and have had 4 episodes of dizzeness with loss of peripheral vision(see stars and fuzzies at the outer edge of vision), memory loss(I can't spell the simplest words, and nothing in print looks correct but is.)and a headache that feels like pressure on my brain. These episodes last an hour or two and all I feel like doing is to sleep. I think I will stop taking Malarone today.

Related Reading: headache | sleep

Comment from: PZ, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 01

Had taken Malarone at least 4 previous times with zero side-effects. 9 days into this round, on the plane ride back from Asia, with several more days to take it, started to feel slight tightness in chest - thought I was getting a cold. Got somewhat worse by the time I reached home. Next morning developed bright red very itchy rash all over and chest tightness was getting worse. By evening, went to walk in clinic. They thought I was having a heart attack due to abnormal EKG & sent me to the ER. ER confirmed it was just a drug reaction, not heart attack. Put me on large dose of Prednisone. Rash subsided & chest tightness went away after about 24 hr but rash would start coming back as Prednisone dose wore off and would go away again after next dose. After 3 days of that and rash almost completely gone, developed reaction to the Prednisone (had taken it many times with no problem before for poison ivy, etc). Stopped the Prednisone, Malarone rash & breathing issues stopped completely. Took about 2 weeks to finally feel back to normal. Now I can't take either drug.

Related Reading: heart attack | poison ivy

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 13

Extreme diarrhea day 4 and off and on for duration. Seemed to be worse in eves. stopped 3 days early....lost 10 pounds in 16days, diarrhea keeps coming back.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: wahoo65cavs, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 03

I am two days into my second trip to Nigeria. I took Malarone during my first trip (three weeks) and I am taking it now. I never experienced most of the side effects listed in other posts. I did have trouble falling to sleep at night and every day at around 4:00 p.m. I could not keep my eyes open and usually napped for about an hour. thinking back that could have been caused by the Malarone. I was told to always take with food, preferable a meal which contains some fat. I brought with me several bags of beef jerky and breakfast bars. Every morning when I awoke I would eat a piece of jerky, a breakfast bar, and my Malarone. I never experienced any of the gastrointestinal side effects includign loss of appetite.