Maxalt User Reviews

Maxalt - User Reviews

Maxalt User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Maxalt sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: DuhMe, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 05

I love the results of taking Maxalt. It helps my migraines like nothing else. The problem I have with it is the packaging. Whoever designed the packaging has obviously never tried to open it when the needed to take it. With other meds, this packaging may work fine, but trying to get one open when needed is awfully hard. There has to be an easier way.

Comment from: pink, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 24

very effective, but extraordinarily expensive.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 27

I've been through all the regimens. Pain meds, anti-depressants, and the new gen migraine drugs (Relpax, Imitrex, etc.). Maxalt has worked the best for me - by far! My only complaint is the cost - it's almost prohivitive to use.

Comment from: Nonstop golfer, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 29

My migraines tend to come on slowly. First I just feel tired and a "bit off"...then nausea, neck and head tension, and finally difficulty with cognition and head pounding. The earlier I recognize the symptoms, the quicker response I get from Maxalt. Sometimes I get complete relief in as little as 20 minutes using 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet. Occasionally I get only partial relief so take the second 1/2 tab. I don't need to hit the bed either. Previously I used Imitrex. It made me sleepy for hours and I ended up in bed. I always got rebound headaches with that. My daughter (age 31) has not been so lucky. She took Maxalt once and her chest pounded, heart rate slowed, and she became too weak to stand. (She does take a lot of other medications, including an antidepressant,so clearly had a drug interaction.) Now she is trying Midrin--which hasn't helped so far.

Related Reading: Midrin

Comment from: cmiller, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 24

I have tried imitrex and topamax in the past and now use maxalt to relieve migraines. I prefer the 10mg tablets, which I break in half, so that I am getting as small an effective dose as possible. Usually, within 1 hour of taking half a tablet, the pain has subsided. If I haven't gotten relief within 2-3 hours, I will take the other half. If the headache returns within 24 hours, I usually take another tablet (or half if the pain is fairly mild), but I try to take as little as possible to alleviate my symptoms (I usually don't get the 'aura' with migraines, but I frequently experience depression, lack of appetite, some dizziness and lethargy, and occasionally nausea). Sometimes, if the pain is severe or comes on suddenly, I'll take the maxalt and also take one or two excedrin tablets. The combination of acetamenophin, caffeine and aspirin really seems to help. Maxalt (and other drugs of its type) are absolute God-sends for migraine sufferers, and I have never experienced any serious negative side effects. Sometimes I feel slightly 'logey,' and if I lie down I'll fall asleep, but if I need to keep going, the drowsiness will last a few minutes and then go away completely. As for me, topamax decreased my incidences of migraine, but I did not like the side effects, so after about four months, I carefully weaned myself off of it.

Related Reading: topamax | aspirin

Comment from: alovenco2@aol.com, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 17

This medication is not for everyone. I did not know the side effects of this med and toke my Dr's word. I currently have many side affects and some may be permanent since no Dr can diagnose exactly what is wrong with me. My symptoms are like that of a stroke.

Related Reading: stroke

Living Better

Find the secrets to longer life.