Megace User Reviews

Megace - User Reviews

Megace User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Megace sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 27

I have only been on this medication for a few days. I have been having a period for over five months, and was repeatedly told it was a reaction to my deprovara (which I have been taking for sometime, and have NEVER had this reaction with before). Shrugged off and sent on my merry little way, a month ago went to the ER due to extremely heavy bleeding and put on Reclipsen to regulate my hormones, diagnosed with dysfunctional uterine bleeding and once again patted on the head and sent on my merry little way. Last week when on the placebo's for the reclipsen, I finally stopped bleeding for two whole days then started again. I was admitted on wednesday to the hospital for a blood transfusion, and given the two choices of ablation and a hysterectomy, to solve my issues. Until then I was given a D&C and was told by my doctor that it was to stop my bleeding during the two weeks before the hysterectomy. I started bleeding once again yesterday morning, after less than 24 hours after the D&C, went back to the ER about it. The doctor I saw there prescribed the Megace/Megestrol 40 mg tablets. Since then I've had extreme diarrhea, lighted headedness, what feels like pressure on my chest, and between my weigh in yesterday and today somehow gained 7 lbs. I would have to say, be VERY LEERY about taking this medication. The side effects, aren't worth any potential benefits, as I've been doing this medication for two days and still bleeding. I am going to be refusing to take this medication after today again. Until I can speak to my own doctor, or a different on call doctor for my doctor's office.

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: Cat, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 15

I took the drug for heavy bleeding. Was very agitated like bad PMS. My Dr reduced the dosage. Have severe calf and bicep pain. I would rather bleed. Not the drug for me

Comment from: Halo1, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 07

Undiagnosed cyles bleeding over 3 months with clotting heavy flows.Hi I am 41..I have been miserable now since the end October 2009. My OBGYN was not very helpful.I had to do alot of research and become proactive on my pwn from being there little puppet with prescribed drugs but no answers on why?? I was bleeding. I became the puppet experiement. Go here for more info on the Drug megestrol acetate , http://www.answers.com/topic/megestrol-acetate-1 It talks about cancer and weight but also gives information on hormone drug what it does-side effects etc.. Pretty scary. I am currently back on this drug for 14 days. Although I have been bleeding myself heavily over 3 months without prognoses I finally had enough last week at Partner for Womens Health in Exeter NH & demanded answers & a fix. Then only was I finally going to get Lab work done. The only options I was given to stop the bleeding was Ablation or IUD..I dont think so !!! You havent even done my bloodwork to determine any factors of the reason for the bleeding. But so eager to give these options..WOW now thats scary! Being pretty much forced to go forth with a DNC I did schedule but only if necessary after the findings of Bloodwork & Ultrasound to determine if really needed for me to go through a DNC. I am sick of Dr.s treating us like puppets. Soooo I went home scheduled an appointment with my Primary care dr. for a 2nd opinion & then changed my OBGYN Dr

Comment from: Lar, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 25

I had major chest sugery due to cancer and a section of a lung was removed. The problem was I was in so much for a while I would not eat just waste away in bed. It is my understanding that must cancer patients expire from malnutrition. Well this stuff works for loss of appitite, I eat everything left over in the refreigator and I am gaining my weight back.

Comment from: lous, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 06

I was on this medication for 21 months for endometrial stromal sarcoma. I have two tumors growing in the recto-vaginal wall. The medicine was supposed to shrink them however all it did was slow their growth. I had terrible side effects: gained 25-30 pounds, crazy mood swings, serious depression, and high blood pressure. I have to have a partial hysterectomy now anyway so I wish I would have never started on this medicine. I have been off it for almost two months and still don't feel back to normal.

Related Reading: depression | high blood pressure

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 19

Sarcoidosis has caused a serious lost of appetite

Related Reading: Sarcoidosis

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 26

I was put on megace to shrink a tumor,which it did. I also gained 30#. I was on it for 11yrs. I blame it for a cyst on my right ovary & one behind my rt knee.

WebMD Daily

Get breaking medical news.