Mellaril User Reviews

Mellaril - User Reviews

Mellaril User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Mellaril sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Alan, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 30

I am now 51 years old. At age 7, I was diagnosed with behaviour problems. I was put on Mellaril, which did slow me down and allowed me to focus better and be less disruptive in class and at home. I was on this medication for a period of 7 years. At age 22, I was diagnosed as having "Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis" or PSC which is a degenerative liver disease which leads to liver failure. The only cure is a liver transplant. Curiously, one of the side affects of taking the drug Mellaril is liver damage. At age 30, my liver had degenerated to the point where it was necessary for me to have a liver transplant. The alternative was death. I was fortunate to have been able to have received a liver that was compatible and available when I needed it. There is no history of liver disease in my family. If the medication you take to help 1 problem, almost kills or does kill the patient, is it worth it? I have heard people say that it angers them when people don't medicate their children. Maybe the parents are not wanting to give their children a death sentence just to appease other people. I have heard of people taking the manufacturer of Mellaril to court with a class action suit. Where do I join up because I am now having trouble supporting myself because of my transplant and the side affects of the anti-rejection medication. Note: If someone recommends that you or your children take Mellaril, run, because you will save yourself many years of heartache and/or pain and suffering as I have had to endure. If you can help me with more information about a law suit or want to know more about my complications of taking Mellaril, contact me at jefferyhaven@gmail.com .

Comment from: McCaffrey00, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 09

I took mellaril for approximately 3 months. It definately helped me to sleep, sort of helped my mood swings, not really any adverse side effects other than occassional heart palipitations, but were short lived and not severe. But I didn't think I needed such a powerful medication for my condition, (sleeplessness, mild mood swings, anxiety, panic attacks).

Related Reading: panic attacks

Comment from: fiftycents, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 16

This drug caused severe blurring of my vision. It caused me to be extremely hyper. I could not sit still. It caused sleep problems,eg:dreams,doing odd things in my sleep. I gained twenty pounds in one month. I was given Cogentin to counter the side affects. I had to get glasses so I could read. To this day I still wonder how I kept from commiting suicide while on this drug. It was horrible.

Related Reading: Cogentin | suicide

Comment from: karine, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 27

wany to kno more about it makes me nervous

Comment from: Secretary, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 20

I have been on this drug for Bipolar 1 condition for over twenty years. I take a very low dose, 25mg-50mg per day, to make me sleep. At first it made me groggy and gave me nasal congestion, but after I got used to it, I would not trade it for any of the newer drugs. It always puts me to sleep and I wake up rested. It was also the only drug other than Zyprexa to control my mania, but Zyprexa literally made me gain a pound a week, until I had to discontinue it to lose weight. Now I take Abilify instead of the Zyprexa and have found a perfect balance. I would recommend this drug to anyone with mania that is difficult to control, or anyone with severe sleep disorders. Make sure you realize that it will take you about six weeks to get used to the drug...it's very strong and is literally made to knock you out cold, which is why it works great when I take it only at night before I go to bed. I have never had any sort of heart problems, even with hard exercise, whereas Seroquel made my heart skip beats when I exercised and scared the hell out of me.

Related Reading: Zyprexa | Abilify

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 28

helps me sleep better

Comment from: lfdloftis, 45-54 Published: May 07

Starting to have heart failure on the left sided, otherwise known as congestive heart failure.