Meprobamate User Reviews

Meprobamate - User Reviews

Meprobamate User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Meprobamate sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: curtis, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 31

I have taken this drug for over 30 years--800 mg a day spread over 4 doses a day. I was prescribed it by my doctor for a nervous condition and it was the only one out of four drugs that I tried that worked for me. I have tried going off of it and my nervous condition returns. Now my pharmacy says they are having a very hard time ordering this drug from their warehouse. Are they manufacturing it any more? It is a generic--What is the brand name?

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 19

My insurance does cover this and I am so greatful because I have used it off and on for over thirty years. I had a problem with panic attacks and found I could take one tablet and be relaxed within 30 minutes. I was able to take one even if I was driving when I had an attack. No side effects what so ever! Sometimes the old standards are the best.

Comment from: Thankful, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 15

I have used this medication for over 25 years. I work in an extremely stressful environment and I can't say anything but good things about the product. It is very effective in reducing the anxiety and the medicine has saved my career and has saved my wife and children from living on disability income! In addition I continue to get high reviews on my work!

Comment from: Doris, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 24

I have been on this medication for years. It is the only one that works for my anxiety.The only drawback is that the Mfg. "Wallace" is the only one that really is effective and I have a very difficult time getting it. The last refill was from a different Mfg. and it does not work.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 16

i don't take this medication any more. i took it from 1981 to 1989 and was taking valum to for panic attacks they both worked well. just a warning be very carefull going off this drug i went into Edgehill hospital in RI and had seizures for over a week and a half. after a few months of no medication i started to feel much better and didn't need any thing. felt a little anxious once in awhile but nothing compaired to when i was on this drug. i also had a lot of trouble with insomnia when stopping this drug.

Comment from: kitty, 75 or over on Treatment for 10+ years Published: January 18

My mother was given this over 40 years ago and she says the same thing others have said in reviews but her doctor wants her off of it and she absolutely does not want to....is it that addictive?? Sure sounds like it and to top it all off my mother has a problem with alcohol which doesnt help any of this. She has been hospitalized several times over the last couple of years due to alcohol abuse and by the sound of it this drug isn't good for her but she refuses to stop taking it even when it is so difficult to find!! And she notices it when she isn't taking it either--the hospital has tried to put her on something else but without success because she knows!!! It certainly seems very addictive to me. This is so frustrating but interesting to know the comments from others. Oh and by the way my mom is 79!!!! Thank you for your help.

Comment from: Sylvia, 75 or over on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 03

I have been taking meprobamate for 45 years off and on when I was unable to sleep due to stress.(50 tablets a year?)I sleep. I wake up rested. No side effects. Recently I tripped and injured my back.(there were no drugs in my body, just a bump in the sidewalk)Relaxed Sleep is essential. Meprobamate relaxes my muscles so they can heal.Now my medicare won't cover.But will cover sleep drugs which cause sleep walking and loss of memory. It frightens me. I think the pharmaceuticals have done a hatchet job on this mild and safe and once cheap drug. Why?

Related Reading: stress

Comment from: worryless, on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 18

Meprobamate has worked like a miracle for me. It effectively quiets my mind so that I am no longer stressed and anxious about so many things I cannot stop worrying about. It's truly been a life saver and I have not suffered any negative side effects from using this drug. There is no comparison of between Meprobamate and Zanax even though they are both used to treat anxiety. I have found that Meprobamate is not always easy to find as many pharmacies have to special order it, and I hope it stays on the market.

Comment from: Dianne, 75 or over on Treatment for 10+ years Published: February 02

My Mother has used this drug for many years. She is now 90. I am talking 30 or more years. She has been on a very strong dose 400 mg daily for 3 to 4 times per day. We have been reducing the dosage due to age. Seems to be doing fine but could this reduction cause sudden sickness in stomach followed by a weakness?