Mestinon User Reviews

Mestinon - User Reviews

Mestinon User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Mestinon sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Jenny_K_N_, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 26

Like all MG drugs, (and probably many others), one CANNOT TAKE IT ON AN EMPTY STOMACH! If taken on an empty stomach, it can lead to stomach cramps, etc.! (To those experiencing this: ask your MDs! It's right there in the med. literature!) Mestinon gives me energy...but also MUCH MUCUS! (Ulgh!) This is due to the BROMIDE in it! They once had Mestinon CHLORIDE available--I took it, less mucus! But they discontinued it! So, I take 1 tablet of mestinon a day, and 6 of MYTELASE -- WHICH IS A CHLORIDE-BASED DRUG! Not many people take it...but I think MYTELASE is better than Mestinon, because of all that mucus! Also, I've recently heard that MESTINON can lead to Gulf War Syndrome! There is NOT total agreement on this...but even a rumour of it gives me pause. Myasthenia Gravis is hard enough to live with....I sure don't need anything else, especially as a side-effect from an MG drug! TO REPEAT....PLEASE BE SURE TO TAKE MESTINON, MYTELASE, AND ALL OTHER DRUGS THAT CALL FOR IT....W I T H...F O O D, AND NOT ON AN EMPTY STOMACH! Stomach-aches from this drug, etc. will be eliminated this way! As a childhood-onset myasthenic, I've taken Mestinon for over 50 years, so I should know! Also -- to make the drug work faster & better -- take with at least 20 swallows of water or other liquid, (more if possible). They can be 20 or more sips...not a lot...but the more sips, the better the drug dissolves in the bloodstream! Be sure to also take some solid food with the drug, if your stomach is empty when taking it. Hope this helps! Hope, too, that Mestinon CHLORIDE makes a comeback, and that MYTELASE may be looked on more favourably by the medical establishment.

Related Reading: Mestinon | MYTELASE | Myasthenia Gravis

Comment from: OdeWriter, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 13

It's only been a few days, but you notice the improvement right away. I have Class I, where it's just the eyes, and I have had it for 21 years. The drug was first prescribed recently, after an airtight diagnosis (finally!) ... It works. The side effects are mostly gastric, but tolderable. However, I should point out that I only take 30mg three times a day. So far, so good!Walking seems easier, too.

Comment from: andreafm, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 20

I have been taking Mestinon only for 2 weeks now and have managed to stop the stomach problem by taking Probiotics and Psyllium Husk before I take the tablet. I have also manged to stop the cramps in my legs by taking a combination tablet of Magnesium, Calcium and pottasium [it's only one tablet at a time and works wonders along with stretching.

Comment from: muscle2010, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 13

I went for 6 months undiagnosed with ptosis, diplopia, nystagmus, muscle wasting, fatigue, unexplained weight loss, and diaphragm weakness (this is the main symptom that threw doctors off course. The first day I took this wonderdrug my nystagmus disappeared and by day two so did the diplopia and ptosis. I have only been on it for two weeks so I'm sure it will take time for my diaphragm and limb muscles to regain their size and strength. The only complaint I have is that I have to divide my pills and they crumble on the ends when I do so. I'm on the generic form and the score on the pills is not very deep. Also when I stored it with my other medication (in a weekly pill divider) the exterior of the pills turned to pasted and they crumbled when I picked them up. Thankfully I didn't lose too many before I noticed. All in all I am very thankful to have Mestinon available for this very troublesome and at times downright scary condition.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: Ben, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 14

Main problem is gas and bowels.

Comment from: NORWICHCGG, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 06

I had myasthenia Gravis since 1994. Optical only according to my Dr, but I have some doubts. I started Mestinon in 1994. but discontinued use due excessive diarrhea and gas. I have been taking Cellept ever since taking a high dosage of 1980 mg per day. In Jan 2010 my Dr prescribed Mestinon again at 60 mg 3x day. Problems the second time around is still excessive diarrhea, gas and severe cramps in the right hand, both legs and insteps on both feet. I will be discussing this medicine with my Dr in Aug 2010. Just a little about double vision. My corrective action with the double vision was contact paper covering my poorest eye glasses lens,l which was my right eye. After using this method for a couple of years I requested th VA to frost my right lens of my glasses. I been using this method for about 10-12 years and it is very effective and lot better than the black patch.

Related Reading: diarrhea | double vision

Comment from: Jack, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 07

I am a physician specializing in geriatrics who suspected myasthenia after six months of gradually symptoms (diplopia, leg weakness particularly when walking uphill). Saw neurologist who diagnosed IIa and began Mestinon with good response. No serious side-effects. Salivation is annoying when lecturing or teaching but not disabling. A handkerchief is now part of my daily wardrobe. Muscle fasciculations are frequent but not painful. One episode of mild muscle cramping. Had only one bout of diarrhea which may have been exacerbated by diet while traveling in Southeast Asia. One question is that I seem to have nightmares if I take a dose late in the evening while working at my desk. No problem with alcohol though I limit intake to two drinks, usually beer, in any twenty-four hour period once or twice weekly. On weekends during which I am planning to do nothing I may take fewer doses without ill effect. A recent planned weight loss of 25 pounds helped strength and endurance quite a bit.

Related Reading: nightmares