Mevacor User Reviews

Mevacor - User Reviews

Mevacor User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Mevacor sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: CSB, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 22

I have been on mevacor for 4-6months I dont know the effectiveness of it until I get a lipid recheck on the 5th of feb .

Published: October 18

Has helped somewhat.

Comment from: lovely, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: April 24

leg cramps

Comment from: goedelite, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 17

A possibly serious side-effect makes me "not satisfied" in the star ratings. I had been taking 20mg/day of lovastatin, prescribed for a 200mg/dl cholesterol level. It lowered my cholesterol to about 170. My HD level was not been a problem. An ultrasound of my liver reported a course textured image, which is interpreted as a "fatty" liver. The ultrasound was made because my blood showed high levels of AST and ALT enzymes; also a low albumen. The blood work-up followed a surgical procedure, a laproscopic colon resection made necessary by a colonoscopy that punctured my colon. The AST, ALT and albumin levels have all returned to the normal range, but now my ALK-P level is slightly above normal. I have ceased taking lovastatin since the ultrasound. My personal opinion is the lovastatin caused my "fatty" liver, and the stresses of my surgery were not causative. They may have raised my enzymes temporarily but did not give me a coarse textured liver.

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: redismyneutral, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 30

I started this medication about 6-8 weeks ago. The muscle pains diminished over about 3-4 weeks. What has not diminished is nausea. I cannot be a passenger in a vehicle after taking my medication. If I take it at night, I cannot sleep because of the rather severe nausea. Any suggestions?

Comment from: hobbs, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 30

side effects from this medication?

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 78 and have been taking mevacor since I was 58 and had a heart attack with colesterol levels of 280 & trygliseride level of 780. with mevacor I experienced no side effects at all!! now the v.a. says they can't get it! When I take the other statins I get severe side effects. Now I'm trying to find out who makes mevacor but to no avail.

Related Reading: heart attack | statins

Comment from: Pippin, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 15

I have been on this medication for 3 months and have been having shortness of breath......thought it was from the dry dusty weather we have been having but reading the Mayo Clinic report, see where this is one of the side effects of Lovastatin. Am also having problems with other statin drugs. Will see what the doctor says on Tuesday.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 27

Did much better on other drugs,have taken up to 80 mg of this drug with no results compared to other drugs,only tried it because of price,but not worth no results.

Comment from: Jake, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 11

On Mevacor for 6 months. LDLs went from 94 to 70 and my Total Cholesterol went from 188 to 140. Very effective drug but had some short term memory loss and libido went down. Doc still wants me on it. 70 might be ideal for LDLs but when does a 140 Cholesterol or lower become a liability. Trying to ascertain the negatives of a low Cholesterol. Not satisified with my Doc.

Cholesterol Management

Tips to keep it under control.