Mirena User Reviews

Mirena - User Reviews

Mirena User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Mirena sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 04

I'm writing this review to set the record straight. First of all, I'm a 20 year old college student who has never had a child before. My doctor and I made the decision to go with Mirena because of complications with the birth control pill OrthoTriCyclen Lo. After reading many negative reviews about Mirena- I was very hesitant to go through with getting it. I was so nervous I delayed getting it for two months. It's important to take into account that many of the people who leave reviews are people who have had a NEGATIVE experience with a drug/product. With this in my mind- I decided to give Mirena a shot. I went to the doctors office with all of these horrible ideas in my head (many women said that it hurt so bad they passed out/cried out in pain) THIS WAS NOT THE CASE. Remember it's important to have a good relationship with your gynecologist, let them know what you're expecting and they'll do their best to prepare you for anything that will happen. The procedure took no longer than ONE minute (despite some women saying it took 10 to 20 minutes), it was very quick and someone uncomfortable during insertion. I was able to drive home, and the pain was tolerable after with a few ibuprofen and bed rest. Basically I'm writing this to help women my age with the negative comments about Mirena. Everyone is different and you should really give it a try! I had Mirena inserted yesterday and there is no more cramping/pain. And as for the women who say that there is "brown gook" discharge- it's the antiseptic that the doctor puts in prior to insertion...which should go away with showering.

Related Reading: Mirena | birth control | ibuprofen

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 30

I have spent sometime today reading over the previous reviews so I figured I would throw in my 2 cents as well. I had mirena inserted about a month ago. I was very nervous and even cancelled my original appointment because of the uncertainty. My biggest mistake was reading all the negative reviews of this birth control. Somewhere along the line I forgot that not all drugs or birth control work the same on everyone. I can say that the whole procedure took about 15 minutes, that includes the doctors set up. There was a lot of discomfort. A LOT! Similiar to bad period cramps, however lasting for a few minutes. I left the office feeling fine and went home to relax. The next few days I was in slight pain, not as bad as my period, just uncomfortable. I did bleed for about a week after. Light bleeding, I used a panty liner. So far it has been fantastic! My sex drive has increased. You wouldnt believe how freeing it is to not have to worry about forgetting your pills or pesky condoms. (I should mention I am married with 2 kids, youngest is a year and a half) So far I have not had any of the negative side effects others speak of. No weight gain, no hair loss, no reduction in sex drive etc. My suggestion if you are considering it is to do lots of research on it and ask LOTS of questions of your trusted doctor. Dont be disappointed by the negative reviews. This is not going to work for everyone. Good Luck!

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: momaf2, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 18

I have had the IUD in for almost two years. The first 9 months was okay, there was a lot of spotting, but other than that it was fine. But in the last year I've gained 40 pounds, had trouble sleeping, I've totally lost my sex drive, gotten acne and been having horrible mood swings. The side effects are different for everyone, but I would really encourage anyone thinking about getting Mirena to seriously look into all the possible side effects. On the plus side, I haven't gotten pregnant.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: topdogmill, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 13

This is the best birth control ever! I was on the pill for 10+ yrs, but after my son was born experienced high blood pressure, so I then switched to the copper IUD - no hormones - so no moodiness or weight gain, but the heavy bleeding was not fun. After my second son was born, on the recommendation of my best friend, an OB-GYN nurse, I tried Mirena. Insertion was a non-event, just relax and take a deep breath. I spotted for about 6 weeks afterwards, and now have no periods. I may spot once every 3-4 months, but that's it. I actually have decided that if I do have another child, I will not have a tubal ligation (seems like a standard when you deliver by C-section), because I love Mirena and the fact that I don't have periods anymore, and it is more effective than a tubal according to my doctor. I highly recommend it - the best birth control i've ever used, and the last one I'll try. The other bonus - my insurance covered Mirena so with my copay/deductible it was about $100. Then after the initial six weeks, I have saved a ton of money by not buying any monthly supplies and not paying for prescriptions every month. Highly recommend it - go with Mirena.

Related Reading: high blood pressure

Comment from: otterpup, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 25

"Installation" was pretty uncomfortable. I'd even venture to say it was painful, but only for a moment. Then I wasn't sure I was going to make it through the first 3 months of having it in, because I bled constantly for that 3 months. HOWEVER, once the bleeding stopped, it has been an absolute dream! I've had it now for almost 2 years and my periods are so light, they're almost non-existent (a plus, in my book!) My severe period cramping and bloating have also almost disappeared! I can't see why anyone would not choose a Mirena!