Mirena User Reviews

Mirena - User Reviews

Mirena User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Mirena sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Whit, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 23

At first I thought the Mirena was the best BC I have ever tried, but now 2 years later I beg to differ. I have gained 30 lbs, constant pelvic pain, weird bleeding, weird discharge, UTI's on a monthly basis, headaches, blurry vision, and bad depression/anxiety. I thought I was going insane with all my physical and mental health problems; but I have talked to mumerous other people that had the Mirena and since they have gotten it out, they feel 100% better. I am getting it out today :)

Related Reading: depression | anxiety | mental health

Comment from: twinmom, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 31

OK - I read all this stuff before I had Mirena put in and an almost did not show for my appointment - I am 34 and have had 1 twin pregnancy (but never went into labor and my cervic never dialated)- for all of you who are seeking comfort read this --- I had the merina put in while I was on my period. Was it comfortable - no - was it the worst pain ever - not even by a long shot! I had a Kidney stone that mounted this easily - 2nd only to giving birth to twins by c-section. Any way- that was in April - GREAT news!! I have not had my period since! The first month I felt very PMS had some on and off cramping and I could have sworn i could feel it and I spotted on and off - but nothing a panty liner could not handle. But after that - have not had any issues - no mood changes, I cant feel it, no weight gain (in fact I lost 3 lbs) and my sex drive is the same... I would highly recommend this - if you are someone who is very sensative or gets wound up about stuff ( you know who you are) you could easily blame all the problems of the world on this tiny little device - if you're not stop reading these crazy sites and driving your self nuts!!!

Related Reading: pregnancy

Comment from: angelsoul8908, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 30

My daughter was born August 19, 2009. I had mirena inserted April of 2010. It was painful, but nothing compared to giving birth. It does its job as I've not gotten pregnant to my knowledge and my periods have been shorter and more spread out. The things I do not like is a very long list I regret to say. First off, Sex at some angles hurt alot not to mention my husband has been scratched many times. My sex drive does not seem has high as it was pre-mirena, which sucks because what's the use of having an IUD, if you don't feel like having sex as much? Once a month or so, I feel as if I am pregnant, I've been having cravings, butterflies, pain, bloating, fatigue, and weight gain. I know those are some of the side effects of mirena, but should I really be feeling something moving on the inside? At times I'm certain I'm pregnant but when I go to the docter, the urine test comes back negative. I've been so tired lately at at times it's hard keeping up with my 2 year old. Has anyone else felt like they were pregnant? I know the exact feeling seeing as I've already been down that road. lol. If I were giving a second shot, I would have used something other then Mirena. The side effects are just too much. Though I'm constantly fighting with myself if it's bad enough to worry about the hassle of getting it removed. Has anyone had similiar problems?

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: Charis, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 13

I'm 26, have had Mirena for four years, and I love it. Yes, insertion was painful. I think the doctor who did my insertion was not very experienced with IUDs because she cut the strings too short. You're supposed to check that it's in place after every period but I can't feel the strings; however my doctor checks it every year with ultrasound and says it's fine, it's in the right place. Over time, Mirena changed my periods from a moderate flow to light spotting. I haven't needed to use a tampon in years. My overall experience with Mirena has been a breeze. I haven't had any of the nightmare side effects that some of the other reviewers experienced. I recommend at least trying Mirena if you're looking for an easy, highly effective birth control method, and are in a monogamous relationship (or are very good about using condoms every time). Research it and see if it fits with your lifestyle. For me, getting Mirena was the best possible decision to make. My boyfriend (now husband) and I knew I needed to finish graduate school and get a job before even thinking of having kids. I never want to be in a situation where I'd have to choose between ending a pregnancy or having a baby before I'm emotionally and financially ready for it. Mirena has made birth control a no brainer for me.

Comment from: eviemylove567, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 08

i have had the mirena iud for 4 months, about 2 weeks after recieving i was in extreme pain and the doctor found a large cyst on my ovary, which was very painful...i bled for about 2 months straight and then skipped a week then have been bleeding ever since...i have gained 20 lbs and have absolutely no sex drive at all...the wires are very painful and sharp and uncomfortable, i hate this for ow but im hoping it will get better

Comment from: starlilly, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 19

Overall I have been very satsfied with my experience using Mirena. i think its really important to keep in mind two things regarding side effects with this product: 1 - things like acne, irregular bleeding, long periods, weight gain, ect...are all very common with the pill as well! I used birth control pills for over five years before getting mirena and experienced a fair amount of issues including cystic acne, cramps and headaches, and irregular bleeding. 2. Also, many people who get mirena do so within months of having a baby. Symptoms after pregnancy and giving birth naturally occur, like hair loss, and hormone fluctuations after childbirth also contribute to weight gain and other side effects. Im not saying these things cant occur from Mirena, but such things are just a fact of life with birth control and life events with women. as far as the insertion procedure, i would compare it to a pap smear. certainly uncomfortable and sometimes mildly painful, but quick and bearable. for me the entire insertion took maybe 3 minutes tops and was nowhere near as bad as i was expecting. I had mild to moderate cramping that day and day after. my normal period came when it was expected, however I have been spotting irregularly for about three weeks now. To me though, for FIVE YEARS of effortless protection against pregnancy, I will gladly deal with some light spotting for a few weeks! also have not experienced any discomfort since the initial insertion, and no pain durring sex. Overall I would definetly recommend this to anyone, we simply just have to keep in mind that all things have pros and cons, and with the IUD i beleive the pros greatly outweight the potental side effects