Mirena User Reviews

Mirena - User Reviews

Mirena User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Mirena sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: JolieS, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 03

I opted for the Mirena although I have not had children yet and the insertion was the most painful experience of my life. What should have been a three minute in and out procedure took over thiry minutes and even with topical numbing, it was incredibly painful. However, after a few days, all was back to normal and I've no problems over the past few years. Would recommend to other women, and highly recommend to other women who have already had a child.

Comment from: trina1997, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 26

Putting the Mirena "in" wasn't very painful...I had lots of spotting for about 3 months afterwards. I did seem to gain some weight and I started getting acne on my face. However, now I am having an extremely light spotting for about 2 days once a month and I'm only 5 months into having the Mirena. It's great for me since I have a blood clotting problem and can't use any estrogen birth control. I am not having the extremly heavy periods every 2-3 weeks. Hopefully my acne clears up and the removal is not too painful as well.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 18

The initial spotting is bothersome. Easy to use. Painful to have removed. Deffinitely recommended for anybody that is not ready to be steralized, but wants a long term birth control method that is easy to use.

Comment from: Happy, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 19

After reading all the horrible reviews of this IUD I was a bit nervous about getting it but in my circumstances I had little choice. My blood pressure is estrogen linked so all regular BC pills had to be done away with and the 2 years of progesterone only pills and shots were horrid. Due to the blood pressure, getting pregnant for me is too much of a risk for a massive stroke so this is what we decided on. It hurt being put in and it took nearly 20 minutes to get it right, even with the local they gave me, but it was explained to me that my cervix and uterus are about 1/3 the size of most women! Yeah, didn't know that going into this but it was just pain. It passed after a few days. I only had spotting for 3 days and have not had a period or spotting since it was inserted 3 months ago. The occasional cramp yes but nothing else. My sex drive is very much increased compared to 15 years of various pills and shots. I don't have this dryness issue everyone is complaining about. I've started loosing the 30 pounds added by the Depo shots, the whole body acne from the shots is going away. I feel better. My blood pressure has stabilized. My only complaint is the bacterial vaginosis infection that comes and goes but I'm ok with that one side effect. It's easy to treat at home once you know what it is. If you are considering this IUD, don't get scared off my all the negative reviews and by all means don't blame every little thing on it either. Every hormone change causes a few issues until your body adjusts. Talk with your GYN and consider all the pros and cons before deciding.

Related Reading: stroke | bacterial vaginosis

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 07

Insertion was NOT FUN. However I got through it and then read all the reviews on this site and was scared to death. After a month I have not lost any hair, gained any weight or any of the other horrific side effects I read about. The insertion was like a regular pap smear with severe menstrual cramps. That lasted about five minutes. If you have a high threshold for pain it won't even phase you. My "period" this month is almost non-existent. If you've ever taken any kind of birth control pill then you are already used to the possible side effects. I would highly recommend it - and also recommend you stop reading the user reviews as they will scare you, possibly for no reason.

Related Reading: menstrual cramps

Comment from: luvley76, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 25

I am not usually one to complain about a new drug. Being an RN, I try to really give things a go and let it have some time before judging it but I am making an exception with this! Immediatel after getting the mirena I started losing my hair, they blamed on me being post partum. However this did not happen for the 8 weeks I had nothing in post partum. I kept it in thinking I was over reacting. It just kept getting worse. Then I lost my sex drive. COMPLETELY! Forget the birth control, who needed it I stopped having sex at all. It also made me very moody, even my husband noticed a huge difference. This went on and on and finally at work, I work in various depts I started asking others that I knew had it in if they had the same symptoms. Sure enough, sex drive was number 1 and hair loss too. I couldnt believe it. I even asked a few patients on the sly about their symptoms and many reported similar things. Finally the last draw came when I got my first period after 13 weeks, it was horrible and it never ended. It lasted 4 weeks of straight bleeding. I was at my wits end and had it removed. Amazingly my hair has stopped falling out, and I may just want to have sex again now! I am feeling much better and want to caution anyone to read up on this drug. Just because it is the next new great thing, doesn't mean its without some major side effects. Good Luck

Comment from: Roxanne, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 07

*** Insertion*** This was EXTREMELY PAINFUL to have inserted. I've never had children before, perhaps that was a factor. The entire procedure lasted about 4 or 5 minutes and it was the single most painful experience of my life to date. I question whether or not I EVER want to have children. I was screaming on the table, broke out in sweats, almost start hyper ventilating, wanted to puke, feint and defecate myself all at the same time. It sort of felt like a Papsmear multiplied by 1000. They didn't offer me any kind of numbing agent or local anesthetic. GET IT. Don't let them convince you otherwise! Get someone else to drive you to this. Brochure says "may have some discomfort or pain during insertion"... what a joke, it was torture. I had just a little bleeding and cramps/ backache afterwards, that lasted about 4 days. *** Results *** I've now had this for about a month and I am very satisfied. I did not gain weight, or break out in acne. I actually lost weight and other than the occasional mild abdominal pain I have had no other cramps/back-aches. Appetite is decreased and I no longer crave junk food like I used to. I also suffered no spotting or bleeding. I feel like my sex drive has increased, no pain or irritation during sex. I think I have my period. I'm not sure because the bleeding is VERY light, almost not panty liner worthy. If this is a sign of things to come I'll be very pleased! I recommend this device but PLEASE GET A LOCAL ANESTHETIC BEFORE THEY PUT IT IN! ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE NEVER HAD CHILDREN!

Related Reading: abdominal pain