Mirena User Reviews

Mirena - User Reviews

Mirena User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Mirena sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 25

After reading some of these reviews, I was quite hesitant to get Mirena. It has been one week today and I am glad I decided to go through with it. Yes, it was a little uncomfortable during insertion but not much more than a regular pap/physical and I had a little cramping that evening, but I talked to my doctor and that is what I expected. The next day I could hardly tell it was there, and I don't have to remember to take my pill everyday. Don't believe everything you read on these reviews. Only the bad will pop out and stick in your head. I would recommend to anyone...

Comment from: AmandaR, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 19

I have had mine in for the full five years and am having it out tomorrow. It worked well as a birth control, although I believe in the last year it has not done such nice things to me. My arms and feet have started going numb....for no reason whatsoever. I have become so full of anxiety there are days I can barely cope because I feel in a panic. I have NEVER EVER had any anxiety whatsoever. I have major lower back pain almost every day and feel like something is sometimes sitting in the pit of my stomach. My sex drive has not completely gone, like others', but it has slowed a bit. I also have the acne and have gained weight and CANNOT lose a pound to save my life. I had no idea until recently looking up others' side effects, that Mirena was causing these issues.

Related Reading: lower back pain

Comment from: laflaca, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 16

I call Mirena the devil inside of me! This medicine has made my life a living hell. From rashes, mood swings, migranes, to weight gain. This is absolutely the worst experience of my life. I had a different or all symptoms daily and my anxiety for eating was uncontrollable. I finally read many negative stories about this birth control and went to the gynecologist to have it removed. it's been 6 weeks since and I not only became the same lovable mother and wife, but the migranes went away and have lost 13 lbs. since. I urge people out there to be very careful about this iud because it can ruin your life!

Comment from: katesashopaholic, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 03

I'm 23 years old. I had my first child in April and got the Mirena in July. The initial process was worse than child birth. In October, for about 2 weeks, I felt like I was pregnant, but the test came back negative. And now for the last 3 weeks I've been feeling like I am pregnant. The test was negative. So its overall effective, but I'm so miserable. I have constant terrible cramps, nausea, headaches, trouble sleeping, bloated stomach, weight gain, mood swings and major depression like I had when I was a sucicidal teenager. SO I'm having it removed on Monday. It works for some people with out any problems, I however am not 1 one of them.

Comment from: doyourresearch, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 29

Due to a small hole in my heart, I had to find a non-estrogen method of b.c. to limit the risk of blood clots and strokes. My new doctor suggested the Mirena. She has one and "loves it." Well, I do believe many women have the product and love it. However, I know from experience that doctors are not educated enough on the true percentages of side effects vs. what the company advertises, nor are they educated enough on who the "right candidate" is for this product. I had never given birth to a child, I am not married, so just with those two descriptions I do not fit the company's "ideal candidate". Regardless, I made a HUGE mistake of trusting my doctor without doing my own research and let her insert it at the same visit in which she suggested it. The insertion was horrible (I can handle pain, I've had many surgeries) and I nearly passed out. I had to stay at the doc office for 30 minutes before driving and was sick to my stomach for 2 days. I gained 20 lbs within the first 6 months (while working out and watching my nutrition!). I have experienced a whole different kind of acne - cysts - on my face. I also had depression/anxiety. I was constantly tired, no motivation, and loss of desire. Unfortunately for me, my work life was so stressful and since my doc didn't tell me about any of these potential side effects, I didn't know that the Mirena was likely the #1 cause of these new issues in my life! After seeing my family doc a few times, seeing my girl doc once, and doing my own research, I had it removed after just over 1 year of insertion. I immediately lost 7 lbs within the first month. Felt energized. No more random pains. Face is clearing up... In summary --- do your research on Mirena in more places than your doc office and than on their inaccurate website. Ask around. Read everything. Good luck.

Related Reading: blood clots | cysts

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 12

I felt the need to post my experience as I almost didn't go through with Mirena after reading the reviews. I had it inserted on Monday. It was not the most comfortable experience, but it was not that bad. Intense cramping for about 2 minutes while being inserted and after that, just minor cramps for a few hours. Nothing that Motrin couldn't fix. When I woke up the next day, I was fine. No cramping, no spotting, nothing. I have not had any side effects. I have only had it in for a few days, but everything appears to be great. If I do get any side effects in the coming weeks, I will certainly update my post. I just wanted to share my experience because after reading most of the horrible reviews online, I was terrified! Every woman is different and you have to make the decision to have it inserted based on YOUR body, not other peoples reviews.