Mirena User Reviews

Mirena - User Reviews

Mirena User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Mirena sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: kac, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 04

DO NOT USE MIRENA IF YOU WANT TO RETAIN YOUR SANITY. I'm 23 years old, perfectly healthy, and have never had any issues with any prescription drugs--until I used Mirena. It was fine--seemingly miraculous--for the first two months. During the first two months, I had extremely long periods and occasional severe cramping, but nothing that I couldn't live with or hadn't been told to expect during the first few months of my body adjusting to the Mirena. I experienced a notable uptick in acne, but again, I could live with that, especially since Mirena was so convenient. I experienced two periods like this on Mirena. On my third Mirena period, everything changed. My cycle changed: Instead of long, heavy periods, my period was one day of moderate bleeding with minimal cramping. I was very happy I took a shower on the last day of my period... and my hair started falling out. It fell out in clumps. In handfuls. It was unlike ANYTHING I had EVER seen, and it was really frightening. To be more specific, clumps would come out in the shower and even when I would just run my hands through my hair. I found it too ironic that this started at the exact same time that my cycle changed, so I Googled "Mirena, hair loss"... and my eyes were opened. The Mirena informational packet I received says that hair loss or "changes in natural hair growth" is a very rare side effect for Mirena users. Apparently they haven't seen the plethora of complaints and horror stories from (former) Mirena users. My gyno thankfully agreed to take it out immediately, but I wish so much that I had never gone on it in the first place. I'm really, really worried. I wish someone had warned me about this horrible drug. I'm trying to at least give others a heads-up. I'm young, I eat very well and take vitamins, work out four days a week, have no major stress triggers in my life, and have no thyroid issues (I double-checked and got blood work done). For the sake of your sanity, do not take this horrible drug.

Related Reading: vitamins | stress