MS-Contin User Reviews

MS-Contin - User Reviews

MS-Contin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication MS-Contin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: gibonzz61i5m678, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 25

Had initially started taking mainly hydro/oxy-Schedule#3 based p. meds. As needed for lumbar/cervical pain, (numerous tests,MRI's,disograms,nerve blocks,ect.)until work became impossible in Aug.2000. More MRI's/tests & 1st. operation/laminectomy L4/5&5/S1.Unsuccessful/MRI WORSE, than before. Meds so far taken:demerol,dilaudid,oxycontin,percodan,all forms of hydrocodone,darvon&(darvocet-n100),emp.&acet.#3&4codeine,talwin ect..all used orally, as needed basis, exceptions on certain procedures.Referred to p.mng.in 03 began40mg.methadone daily(chronic by now).By late 03-04,two more surgeries: Anterior&posterior Level-2 Fusion,Lumbar(aforementioned discs)60mg. daily for appx.6yrs. Methadone worked very well for me until March09. Worsening situation in cervical area led eventually to Level#3 Fusion. Needed #4,but no O.Surgeon would touch trying to take 4 herniated discs(spinal stenosis,clusters of bonespurs,ect.)& so for now,I've been on MS Contin 100mg., one every 12hrs. The main reason that I've been so thorough is to let the folks know, who truly are coping with chronic pain(includes ALL of the OTHER PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH IT)that there is hope for a functional,fufilling lifestyle. I know that this particular drug will not work for every thing OR for everyone....but when all is taken into consideration,IF TAKEN AS PRESCRIBED,MS Contin SR IS BY FAR the most effective medication available. (MY OPINION)

Related Reading: demerol | dilaudid | percodan

Comment from: LYME-SUFFERER, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 08

I have chronic pain due to having Lyme Disease several times. A doctor had me on Vicodin, which caused me to be addicted. I am now on MS Contin (Morphone ER - extended release). This drug is excellent because it is not short-acting like Vicodin, which means that you do not feel addicted and want to rush to take a pill every 4 hours. I wasn't able to work on Vicodin. I now have a job and am able to work. Vicodin should NOT be used long term. It will cause you to be addicted and make you need to take higher and higher doses. I recommend this for ANYONE going through the hell of Vicodin addiction. Because MS CONTIN is extended release, if you run out of the drug, the withdrawl pain is not as severe. My doc has me on 30MG 2x a day. My only concern is that I need 3 to do my job (which is physical). Seriously, do not use Vicodin for long term pain. MS CONTIN will allow you to work and not feel concerned about having to take a pill every 4 hours!

Related Reading: Lyme Disease

Comment from: suzzaq, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 23

I have Fibromyalgia, and am disabled from it. Taking this med. has allowed me to live a more normal life. I do not spend much time in bed anymore. I have not fallen since I started this med. I had fallen at least 3 times a week before. I am able to do more during the day, regular tasks such as housework, going shopping, gardening, etc.

Comment from: Rene13, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 29

I was put on MS Contin for chronic pain for 10 years. Last spring I became very ill and couldn't get out of bed. I started to vomit every 15 minutes and had diarrhea almost at the same time. I lost over 50 pounds. I was admitted to the hospital and my kidney's, adrenal glands and heart failed. I found out later that because I never had any blood work done to check the opium levels in my system I had opium(heroin) deposits in my organs. I am now on the mend; after a lengthly hospital stay and hospice care. I was in a coma for four days in hospice while my body was fighting to get off the MS Contin addiction. BEWARE- this drug could kill you; it almost did me.

Related Reading: diarrhea | hospice | coma

Comment from: 28motherof2, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 14

i spent years trying to find a dr to take me and my pain seriously. after 2 car accidents which left me with 2 compressed disks, one in my neck and one in my upper back, i was tired of drs shuffling me along when they said they could do no more for me. i tried vicodin, norco, lortab, lorcet and percocet and none worked. changing to ms contin was the best thing that has happened to me. i take ms contin 60 mg twice daily, i still have some pain off and on, but i actually have my life back. personally i feel taking one pill twice a day of a stronger formulation is less dangerous than taking 1-2 vicodin every few hours. pain medication becomes habitual, then addicting. if you struggle with pain, and have to take medication many times daily just to 'live' your life, then its no way to live...it just becomes a way to get addicted. i seriously recommend talking to your dr about switching to ms contin and getting away from fast acting pills. in the long run, the ms contin outlasts the other pills, you feel normal, not foggy, high or drugged up and you dont have to take it as often, leaving less room for a road to addiction and more room to live your life.

Related Reading: lorcet