MS-Contin User Reviews

MS-Contin - User Reviews

MS-Contin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication MS-Contin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Neckbone, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 14

I have suffered from chronic pain since I was injured in Iraq and had a cervical fusion done (C4, 5 and 6). I have been taking MS-CONTIN now for about 6 months, first started with 15 mg twice a day but have quickly progressed up to 60 mg 3 times a day and that is very much doing the trick. For those of you suffering from constipation, my Doc recommended that I take a fiber supplement - I chose Fiber Choice and it works like a charm I also take 7.5 mg oxycodone for breakthrough. Every is going very very well. Good Luck!!

Related Reading: MS-CONTIN

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 06

I am only 28 years old and have been suffering with chronic pain for about 5-6 years. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and spondyloarthrpathy about two years ago. It seems that being young keeps many doctors from believing a person of my age can hurt as bad as I do. I ran the gamut of pain meds with earlier doctors starting with tramodol, darvocet,and lortab. When I explained to them that I was not getting the relief that I needed, they did'nt seem to want to try anything different. I finally found a doctor willing to accept and believe my condition. I now take 60mg 3x's a day, plus 10mg percocet every 6 hrs. for breakthrough pain. The only side effect is a rather nasty headache that will last about 2-3 hrs. after the MS kicks in, and general constipation. I am growing tolerant to the MS, but the doc told me that he could increase my dosage if needed. Thank God for understanding and caring doctors who don't dwell on the thought that everyone who takes pain meds is or will become a junkie. If the med works don't be ashamed to use it, and don't worry about what other people think about you. To all of those suffering out there, may God ease your pain and brighten your days!

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: missg, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 18

I've taken just about everything - and currently have a Med-tronic stimulator. I have also had three internal pain pumps - with everything from morphine to delaudid (sp) in them. I have 5 ruptured disks, DDD, fibro, and sciatica pain. I also have considerable arthritis. I was on Norco 10/325 -4txs prn and having pain levels of 7-9. I had been through 10+ years of Pain management and was fed up with it. Shots, pokes, nerve burnings.. and a doctor that would barely give medication. However, I ran into the wonderful world we live in now where everyone is a drug addict, and everyone is seeking pills to gulp, or sell. This is a huge problem that needs an answer... especially for people like us, the silent sufferers. Even with proof, we are being discriminated against. I have been unable to obtain a "regular physician". It may reach a point where we need lawyers to procure doctors. At any rate... Went back to Pain Management and a wonderful doctor heard me, and prescribed ms contin. It is working well, but I itch so badly. I am also so groggy. I don't want to stop taking it because for the first time in over a year my pain level is down from a 7-8 to about a 3-4. I don't like the decrease in energy level however.. Hope it gets better soon. But this stuff works. Thank God for understanding physicians, and folks that write in comments - so that we know we aren't alone... God Bless.

Related Reading: sciatica

Comment from: Visitor, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 01

I have been taking MS Contin for three months due to three herniated disks in the lumbar area of my back. The doctors first started me on Vicodin ES 7.5/750, but that never really helped with all the pain. They then proceeded to give me Percocet 5/325, but it didn't ever seem to last the 6 hours it claims. I would get about 2-3 hours of pain relief before having to take another. The doctor was concerned about my acetaminophen intake so they put me on Norco 10/325. These were much stronger than the previous medications and they lasted the 4-6 hours that they stated. Although helping more, they never really worked completely for my chronic pain. When the doctor told me he was prescribing morphine, my wife and I were a little worried about the physical dependence that surrounds this drug. I was also worried I would be a vegetable and lose all of my drive to do anything. This was hardly the case. Within the first week of taking this medication, I felt no pain for most of the day. I was still able to take the Norco for breakthrough pain, but that has been cut down dramatically. But now I can do things again. I take 15mgs q 8 hours. Having been someone who has never really been on a dosing schedule for medication, it is a little difficult to remember to dose. In the past the pain would always tell me when I needed to dose. It took me a little while to get it through my head that I need to take this med even if I am not in acute pain, but I made it work. This pain med does not really last the 8 hours stated. In my opinion, maybe 6-7. I am definitely not regular in the bowel department, but I take Colace and Dulcolax almost everyday to help with the annoying constipation that this strong narcotic brings with it. It does make me sleepy for the first hour or two after taking it, but my body adjusts and everything is great afterwards. The cost was a definite plus for me. With my insurance, I paid for generic morphine sulfate ER 15mg 270 tabs for $20 US.

Related Reading: Vicodin ES

Comment from: MRMRY, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 22

I HAVE HAD CHRONIC PAIN SINCE 2005 AND HAVE GONE FROM VICODIN,OXYCODONE AND NOW MS CONTIN 60MG 2X DAY AND MSIR 15MG UP TO 3 A DAY. I ALSO HAD PROBLEMS WITH CONSTIPATION UNTIL I WAS TOLD ABOUT MIRALAX. YOU MIX ONE CAP FULL WITH ANY THING YOU DRINK IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE FLAVOR NOR DOES IT GET THICK. TRY IT EVERY DAY UNTIL IT WORKS AND THEN YOU JUST TAKE IT EVERY OTHER DAY OR WHAT EVER WORKS FOR YOU.BEST THING FOR PROBLEM CONSTIPATION OR ANY ONE TAKING LONG TERM PAIN MEDS.TRUST ME IT WORKS GREAT AND NO RX.NEEDED.

Related Reading: MIRALAX